• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

Sign in to follow this  
Bllack

R34 Radiator fan issue

Hey all, The fan on my 34 is pulling and over excessive amount of air, it doesn’t cause any heating issues or anything of that, it’s just so loud and is getting annoying hearing it constantly.

problem started months ago when my shroud hit the fan and pretty much exploded the shroud, from then on ive been able to hear the air coming of it and it’s louder then the exhaust 

new shroud has been put in, Any ideas and what to look for for a possible fix? Thanks

Gtsboy 

16 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

You've f**ked the viscous clutch on it.  New one required.

Thanks heap mate, I will look into it! Much appreciated 

Edited by Bllack

With the engine off, spin the fan, it should have resistance but still rotate.

18 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

With the engine off, spin the fan, it should have resistance but still rotate.

Sadly, it's not quite a good enough test.  They can still do what you say, and be f**ked enough to not slip enough when they should and make you sound like you're driving a Patrol.

A warning.  Do NOT but a Davies Craig clutch hub, or a no-name unit off eBay.  They are all shit.  They will sound like they're stuffed already. I think Dayco might be OK, and they seem to be available on eBay.  Genuine Nissan is the best choice.  Do not allow someone to sell you one for a 4WD or anything other than the right one, because they have different temperature actuation points and resistance, depending on the application, fan used, etc etc.

I bought one recently (and have for sale, they are fairly expensive).

Smashing the fan into something and then causing sound is a problem. You can usually see the fan not spinning straight on the hub if its fked. If its louder than the exhaust genuinely (and absolutely ISNT hitting anything.....) then yes replace it ASAP.

Another thing to do whilst you're at it, check that your water pump bearing is ok and rotates level. Your clutch fan is hanging off it and if it's not level it'll make the fan blade wobble and explode before long. Fairly easy to the check: Record a slo-mo clip from directly above using your smartphone with the engine running and play back; if it's wobbling at the base you might be up for a new water pump too...

Dayco ones are fine. I run an RB30 Dayco fan hub in mine as I needed a little extra clearance between the engine and radiator. Seems to behave like an OEM hub

Davies Craig are terrible. May as well just weld the fan to the water pump

22 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Sadly, it's not quite a good enough test.  They can still do what you say, and be f**ked enough to not slip enough when they should and make you sound like you're driving a Patrol.

A warning.  Do NOT but a Davies Craig clutch hub, or a no-name unit off eBay.  They are all shit.  They will sound like they're stuffed already. I think Dayco might be OK, and they seem to be available on eBay.  Genuine Nissan is the best choice.  Do not allow someone to sell you one for a 4WD or anything other than the right one, because they have different temperature actuation points and resistance, depending on the application, fan used, etc etc.

Yeah but it's a quick way to check if the hub locked (they can also free spin).

Oh and back in the R31 days, we used "sounds like an XF Falcon" :P