• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

SeanR32GtSt

When is it a good time to get the ecu tuned?

So my car has 3” turbo back exhaust, front mount, new spark plugs and loom, and soon to be installed splitfire coil packs. So my question is, when is it optimal to get say a Nistune installed to yield the most power out of the current mods on the car. 

18 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

I was going to say, Monday, 9AM.

Nope. Tuner could have gad a big weekend and be sleepy still. Tuesday 9am is the go.

So long as the tuner is able to do the board install (it's not just plug and play, there are cleaning and soldering tasks to do) and has the Consult cable and software....the answer  is no.

5 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

So long as the tuner is able to do the board install (it's not just plug and play, there are cleaning and soldering tasks to do) and has the Consult cable and software....the answer  is no.

I have a local guy here (state side) who is a tuning guru and I’m gonna give him a ring this week. 

Guru or not you are not going to get an extra 100KW with those "mods". You will at least need to set your boost to 10 to get a noticeable increase. Front mount and better exhaust will help...

5 hours ago, GTofuS-T said:

Who mentioned 100kW?

I was gonna say the same thing. I was just trying to utilize the most hp out of what’s in the car now. Idc if it’s 10rkw or 5rkw

• Like 1

It will be in the order of 10rwkW unless you add boost.  But, if tuned well, it will feel a lot faster than that because more timing and less fuel in the middle of the maps will sharpen it up a lot.

4 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

It will be in the order of 10rwkW unless you add boost.  But, if tuned well, it will feel a lot faster than that because more timing and less fuel in the middle of the maps will sharpen it up a lot.

I was thinking along the same lines as well. I heard the factory tune on these is a bit rich?

35 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

too much timing, too rich

I can definitely feel the fuel being too much in the mid to higher rpm range. Does having a VTA blow off valve have a negative effect on that as well. 

19 minutes ago, SeanR32GtSt said:

I can definitely feel the fuel being too much in the mid to higher rpm range. Does having a VTA blow off valve have a negative effect on that as well. 

Nope.  Only time that matters is when you lift off with boost and the air gets let out, leaving the engine overfuelled for the next few seconds.  Under boost, the BOV is closed, so the mixtures should be what the AFM&ECU say they should be.

Doesn't.  Peak power for mine (realistic 191 rwkW stock Neo turbo) is 6900rpm.  Continues to make good power until the 7500 chop chop.

My RB20 in same car was happy to run all the way out to 8300.  Could feel power rolling off after 7500.