SAU Community

I need help

Pastechi

Hi guys, i'm new in the carworld and finally got myself my dream car. the R33

I bought a 1997 40anniversary R33 GT-S 3weeks ago. I gave it a service(change oil, oilfilter and sparkplugs) and the car runs great.
I don't drive much.

20minutes to work, and 20miuntes back home. There are times when the car is on for more than 30minutes(Incase i have to drive my gf somewhere before home) that my car sound turns into this gruggling noise but my meters seems like nothing is going on.

One thing that comes to mind that i am not using a coolant. Just using water atm in the radiator and i think that the water becomes so hot that it maybe causing the gruggling noise to happen.

I can get home, turn off the car and start it back up tomorrow and the sound is back to normal like nothing happend. just that if the car is on more than 30minutes i hear the gruggling noise(doesn't sound like a bubble noise, just a harley davidson idle ish overheat noise idk how to explain)

My car is currently at 394WHP if i'm on stage B(22psi) but its currently on stage A(16psi).
I tried hitting up 3 local mechanics but they told me it could be my thermostat or a blown headgasket but they seem too busy to give a hand. So i thought to ask on forums.

I thought maybe flushing the radiator untill the water end up coming out clean, and get an antifreeze coolant should do the trick but idk if the issue might continue.

Any help would be nice

EDIT: If this is the wrong section, can someone move it to the right section? It's hard browsing on my phone

Edited by Pastechi

Welcome to :sau: !

9 hours ago, Pastechi said:

One thing that comes to mind that i am not using a coolant. Just using water atm in the radiator and i think that the water becomes so hot that it maybe causing the gruggling noise to happen.

Why no coolant? Whats your temp like when you hear this noise?

Do you notice any change to the performance?

Does it change in sound in sync with revs?

Can you leave it running after a drive to get it to 30 mins? Then stick your head under the bonnet?

13 hours ago, PranK said:

Welcome to :sau: !

Why no coolant? Whats your temp like when you hear this noise?

Do you notice any change to the performance?

Does it change in sound in sync with revs?

Can you leave it running after a drive to get it to 30 mins? Then stick your head under the bonnet?

Well i was planning on flushing the radiator and use a coolant end august but i thought it wouldnt be a problem, because i don't drive much

I do notice a change in performance, as soon as i heard the sound turn into this harley davidson shit, my acceleration feels slower. 
Even if i don't rev the sound already changed. I need to put the car to work for more than 30minutes next time so i can record it. I think thats the best thing i can do to show the issue

Last time when it happend i turned the car off and immediately put my head under the car to see if i can hear any noise but nothing. Just quiet. After 5minutes of the car being off, i started it back up and the car sound went back to normal

p.s. this happend monday after work when i drove my gf home.
Ever since then i drove below 30minutes till this day and my car sound never changed.

Idk if i have a faulty coil, or maybe using water can cause it. Or maybe the thermostat is wonky.

Edited by Pastechi

13 hours ago, PranK said:

No. Its a very important distinction.

Much like a Gruffalo noise.

child gruffalo GIF

well...can i call it a harley davidson noise? because thats what my car sounds like after 30minutes

14 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Umm, you'll have to be more specific about the location of the noise. Is it missing or running rough? Or some weird noise from the dash?

well i never found out where the noise is actually coming from because it only happend twice(and i only drove more than 30minutes twice so far) and i immediately turn of the car, i am a bit scared i may f*ck something up lol. What i did do after i turned off the car was stick my head under it to see if i can hear any sound from the radiator or motor, but nothing till where i know.
I'll see tomorrow(friday) when i leave work i can drive extra so i can get that harley davidson sound to appear again, then maybe i can record around the car and get the audio

10 hours ago, Pastechi said:

well...can i call it a harley davidson noise? because thats what my car sounds like after 30minutes

Harley noise, as in, it is misfiring?  When does it make the noise?  All the time it is running (once it starts)?  Only on boost?  Only at certain revs?

59 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Harley noise, as in, it is misfiring?  When does it make the noise?  All the time it is running (once it starts)?  Only on boost?  Only at certain revs?

after 30minutes of driving the car, then the sound just changes on me. when i turn off the car and look around i hear nothing and i don't smell anything either :s
I did feel my acceleration be a little bit laggy tho

Edited by Pastechi

Get video.  It's not going to be possible to do this without seeing/hearing it, and the Carib is too far away!

Also, time a run to 100km/h before it goes bad and then another one after, so we can see what difference it might be making there.

Even with all that, I'm not making any promises.  This shit usually turns out to be something totally unexpected and strange, like a plastic sack wrapped around the tailshaft or a coke can jammed in the exhaust - that sort of weird shit.

Flush the cooling system thoroughly, put in fresh coolant and bleed the whole system.
The noise could just be the water boiling after the engine has had time to get up to temperature.

You should definitely be running coolant anyway to protect against corrosion and increase the boiling temp.

Simple question. Is the radiator full and the overflow bottle at the right level? As long as their is fluid in there you should get an idea of what temp it is running at.

If the temp seems normal (half or below), and there is no noticable leaks etc. then fair chance its not the cooling system. The stock gauge is not terribly accurate but i think you would see if there was a problem causing an overheat

It sounds like possibly a coil on the way out that only shows up when the coil gets really hot after a bit of driving, but as per above really need a video to show the noise

Last time I had a dead coil, could definetly tell that it was lacking power and sounded like a WRX

17 hours ago, 89CAL said:

Simple question. Is the radiator full and the overflow bottle at the right level? As long as their is fluid in there you should get an idea of what temp it is running at.

If the temp seems normal (half or below), and there is no noticable leaks etc. then fair chance its not the cooling system. The stock gauge is not terribly accurate but i think you would see if there was a problem causing an overheat

It sounds like possibly a coil on the way out that only shows up when the coil gets really hot after a bit of driving, but as per above really need a video to show the noise

Last time I had a dead coil, could definetly tell that it was lacking power and sounded like a WRX

I drove the car for over 30minutes yersterday...try to get the sound to show up. Even burned some rubbers but nothing.
But yes....after 30minutes it sounds like a wrx and it lacks a bit of power....
I'll be checking the coils wednesday with a mechanic to see what we can find

I should also remove the cap where the coils are too..maybe its preventing heat from coming out

Edited by Pastechi

This is how my car sounds normally   (The noise in front of the car is 1 of the fans btw)

This is how it's supose to sound after 30minutes of driving(exactly like this wrx) and i feel a little loss of power

So i drove my gf home tonight and came back home. When i parked the car in the yard i heard the sound 90% changed but i couldnt rev it. People are asleep lol.

I recorded this yesterday and this is how it's supose to sound. Like always 

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

They're both the same.  WRX one is just idling 300rpm lower than the "good" one.  Both sound normal but possibly with a slight miss.

ye...they are not the same trust me. but then again it did not fully change. I'm sure if i drove a little more it would of fully kicked in and it will sound so disgusting and the throttle lags and feels week.
Sadly it was late night so i didnt want to rev the car and see if the sound also kicked in. I'd wake up the neighbors if i do lol

EDIT: Now that i remember. by this time if i turn on the ac it would idle to 400 then 900 and keep going up and down, or prob kill the engine. The AC thing only happens once the car enter this wrx sounding shit

Edited by Pastechi

Do your best to actually describe the problem. You hardly make sense.

Actually, just take to mechanic and give them money. If you can't describe it you sure as shit can't fix it.