SAU Community

z32 afm issues

bazr33

Hey guys,

Can anyone tell me what range (whether it be signal, earth or 12volt power) outside the scope would throw a z32afm  off and put the car into limp mode.

Currently have the car not revving past 2500rpm. 

I have checked the z32afm with a mulitmeter and had the following:

Signal (idling) 1.53  - Car ignition on  - .48

AFM Ground - .37ohms

Signal Ground - .37ohms

12v Power - 13.89

I am assuming that the AFM is not the issue as I have two Z32afm's and there is no change between them.  I have also reseted the ECU and drain the battery.

The car is a R33 Series 1 GTST, with Nistune Board. No issues with tune as the car was perfect before this started to happen.

Did a diagnostic check via shorting out the two wires and code is 12 which is AFM. 

Doing my f%^kin head in. 

5 volt sensors are designed to run between 0.5v and 4.5v. Anything outside that usually will cause a fault.

This is general rule with sensors so not guaranteeing this will be correct

Can you plug into the nistune?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2018 at 2:22 AM, 89CAL said:

5 volt sensors are designed to run between 0.5v and 4.5v. Anything outside that usually will cause a fault.

This is general rule with sensors so not guaranteeing this will be correct

Can you plug into the nistune?

Higher voltages from the AF than 4.5 will not cause limp mode. If for example you max out the AFM you'll be in 4.999V territory without any limp :)

Idle is around .9V, that's possibly the range the ECU is looking at for failure

Alrighty guys,

due to further inspection, I had a dodgy connection on the signal wire from afm to the ECU. 

I was obviously receiving correct signal from afm end as thats where the signal is coming from, but ECU wasnt receiving it. 

My impatience, and proper troubleshooting process has failed me, but the car is now running properly. 

Though the bonus is that I have replaced a few old parts and learnt a bit more about the car. 

Waiting for the next thing to f**k up.