SAU Community

1972 C10 - Bring a Trailer

Hank Scorpio

Somewhat crazy pricing.  Only supportable when people who have more money than sense get into the market.  Sadly, there are enough of them in all markets these days.

If it were a real GTR then large money makes sense.  As it's just an old Skyline with a lot of mods, the mods either add some value (about 20% of what they cost) or they add almost nothing....because the mods can often be one-way (ie, hard to undo).

Is it a cool car?  Yup.

Would I like to have it?  Yup.

Are there other people out there who think the same as me and have a lot more money to throw around?  Yup.  Sadly.

This is something I've been keeping a relatively close eye on for the past few years.

Working for UniqueCars magazine, i'm continually staggered at how much action the classic australian scene is seeing, and i'm not really a native Aussie car guy - so when someone at Shannons blows the same amount of money for an old Kingswood when they could have had an E36 M3 AND an E34 M5. That's bloody insanity I reckon. 

Million dollar XYs - madness! Talk to anyone at Pebble Beach with a million dollar anything and they'll think you're an absolute nutter.

But I digress:

Japanese cars at the top end are solidly beginning to make waves in the international collector world. A few years ago, a Toyota 2000GT was the first to break seven figures at Pebble Beach - and people were definitely shocked. Since then a few Hakos and Cosmos have passed through fetching a good few hundred thousands a piece. More traditional establishments like the Petersen museum for example, have a massive Japanese car exhibit going on at the moment. Infiniti is even hosting a display at this year's Concours d'Elegance dedicated to Japanese classics.

I've definitely identified a number of shifts covering classic car news overseas for a while, and I definitely think old jap cars are still a burgeoning market and only going to get bigger still.

As for that Hako, funny I was looking at it just a few days before the auction ended.

As others have said, yeah there's plenty of people - in the US especially - wiling to pay hand over fist for dem JDM bragging points. But even USD$80K doesn't seem unreasonable in comparison to what else is changing hands for over there

EDIT: A genuine '72 GT-R sold at Gooding & Co at Pebble beach in 2016 for USD$187,000 (pre-auction estimate between $225-$275!) So $87 for the restomod replica sounds... like it makes sense.

Between 2014 and 2015, Hagerty reported a 377% increase in search traffic for Hakosuka values

Furthermore - at Monterey in 2014, RM Sothebys sold a 72 H/T 2000GT for USD$242,000!!!

Edited by alex182
Further information & past auction results

So far Kenmeri hasn't quite got that same value, hopefully able to find one for a reasonable price still. Not a GT-R though.. those are definitely price up there !

240K in Australia still cheap compared to world market