SAU Community

Neo down on compression

Eager

So following this thread

I done a compression test and have found the cylinder against the bulkhead to be about 60 psi. It’s a unopened to my knowledge neo with a 3076 at 1.4 bar. Engine was cold, rest of cylinders are about 140

so, some more checks needed and will do a leak down test soon but in experience of others, Is this likely a piston issue or a valve or a gasket ?

engine runs and idles with no bad sounds etc, just lean and needs me to add fuel on the hand commander , this may or may not be connected. 

Many advise welcome :)

• 3 weeks later...

To follow this up

would one cylinder down to the 60psi, cause a lumpy running motor that reads very lean on wideband? Or is it possible I have a problem that caused the engine to run lean and then do the piston ?

when I up the fuel on the hand commander to 1:1.3 or so and bring the air/fuel ratio back towards what the normal readings were, the car idles and runs, quite healthy, but like a bag of crap when I just run it’s map at 1:1

so im trying to work out what has came first, is it a fuel problem that has caused lean running and melted a piston. Or is it the piston has failed and now not running right/firing properly on that one cylinder that it’s giving the lean reading

sorry if that is hard to understand 

Edited by Eager

Yep I have wideband mate. Innovate. So can monitor things. It was running well, healthy, generally idled about 14.4 to 1. 

Then suddenly runs lumpy and reads about 17 or 18 to 1 once warmed up, needing some revs occasionally to keep it ticking over, 

but if I pick up the power F.C. hand commander and dump in fuel on the one time adjustment page and watch my air/fuel gauge slowly swing back, the idle sounds normal and happier, it takes up to about 1.2 or 1.3 of enrichment to start getting normal readings on the wideband gauge

im only talking about idle to keep my descriptions as easy as possible, but the problem is true across the Rev range, try to drive it and it feels like dragging a big anchor unless I dump that fuel in on power F.C. commander 

is this all symptoms of down on compression on one cylinder. Or is this a result of running lean possibly without me noticing and it’s done a piston and hence it’s now down to 60 on one cylinder ? Chicken and egg type thing 

Edited by Eager

Could be a blocked/failing injector which also caused that cylinder to fail.

Problem with a single wideband is that it's reading an average of all 6 cylinders, I suggest take out your plugs and see the colour differences between them to determine which cylinder is leaner than the other (easiest option).

Best option is to remove the injectors and get them flow tested.

I pulled the plugs and they all looked very similar dude, and ye the average of all 6 cylinders doesn’t help a lot :(

they are very fresh r35 gtr factory injectors, would a item fail so early ? 

Having changed the pump the only other bits is, pump voltage regulator, fuel pressure regulator that’s factory or injectors or fuel filter(500 miles fresh z32 item)

Edited by Eager