SAU Community

Is the Clock Spring and Steering angle sensor the same thing?

Replaced two of my power steering lines between the reservioir and chucked a seal kit in the PS pump. Now I have no Power Steering. The Hicas diagnosis comes up as Error 22 - Steering angle sensor. 

My question is, is the Steering angle sensor the clock spring? 

My car is a series 2 r33 GTST with no modifications to the steering system. I still have Hicas and the stock steering wheel. 

Nope.  Clock spring is the mechanism for making the indicators latch and release.  Steering angle sensor is a separate thing.  They can die.  The little pin from the steering wheel that engages the sensor and drives it around can possibly break too, or if some hamfisted bumblef**k has had the wheel off and not put it back on correctly, then simply not engaged.  It needs to read zero angle while the car is driving straight or it will eventually go into fault, because the car literally cannot hold a set steering angle while >5km/h for more than a few seconds.  The sensor is expected to continually change value, or fault out.

So that yellow ring is what I’m calling the clock spring, am i wrong in calling it that? And the steering angle sensor is deeper into the steering collum somewhere? 

I’m having troubles finding what steering angle sensor actually looks like. 

4EF1E8BE-9FA8-453F-9175-A89BDA6C381C.jpeg

No, if I had to guess, I'd say the exact opposite.  The clockspring will be deeper down.  The SAS would be right at the top, because there is a pin off the back of the steering wheel hub that drives it.  At least, that's how it is on the R32.  I've never pulled the wheel off an R33.  In fact, it doesn't matter, because I only had a car with HICAS on it for a very short time before I taught myself how to take off and nuke it (HICAS) from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure that it won't f**k up your life.

This is what the top of an R32 steering column looks like.  SAS is what you're seeing.

a4.JPG

Edited by GTSBoy

Small correction.  A lot of people also call the commutator that passes wiring into and out of the steering wheel (ie, horn buttons, cruise control, stereo buttons) the clockspring.  It is quite possible that this is common to steering angle sensors on newer cars.  On R32 at least, the only wire coming into the steering wheel is for the horn.  You can see that connector on the lower left of the photo above.  The drive pin for engaging the steering wheel is opposite.  I guess that makes the SAS the "clockspring" on this too.

• 5 years later...
On 8/22/2018 at 1:54 PM, GTSBoy said:

Nope.  Clock spring is the mechanism for making the indicators latch and release.  Steering angle sensor is a separate thing.  They can die.  The little pin from the steering wheel that engages the sensor and drives it around can possibly break too, or if some hamfisted bumblef**k has had the wheel off and not put it back on correctly, then simply not engaged.  It needs to read zero angle while the car is driving straight or it will eventually go into fault, because the car literally cannot hold a set steering angle while >5km/h for more than a few seconds.  The sensor is expected to continually change value, or fault out.

I haven't been able to find much info but what happens if the sensor dies out? I assume mine is fine considering that I've driven well over 70km an hour and I haven't experienced any faults yet (not that I adjusted it or anything). Is it even possible to adjust the steering angle sensor the wrong way without removing it?

The reason I ask is because there was a time when I turned the steering wheel with the nut removed (not sure if this moved the shaft and the steering angle sensor separately but I assume not).

I know that it turns with the steering wheel and the shaft.

Edited by silviaz