SAU Community

R33 GTST major service

eVo25t

What part of Sydney are you in?  Just had the same done for my R34 by Mark at MRC Performance & Dyno in Castle Hill, very knowledgeable with all things RB, also the best troubleshooter i've been to, he's solved many issues other repuatable workshops either caused or hadn't picked up on.

They offer a really good health-check / inspection which includes a quick run on the dyno to make sure all is in order also, mention this as it's really worth the $120 odd dollars so you know what you're up against for future mods etc.

If it helps break the ice, mention Daniel with the black R34 GTR suggested you call.

https://www.facebook.com/MRCDynoServices

Edited by JGTC

From memory it their rate was $110/hr, i supplied most of my own fluids so i think all up it was approx 6-7hrs labour.  Belts and water pump were done a few mths prior.

What do you consider a major service?

If it's a basic fluids, plugs, filters type of thing invest in a good jack and some jack stands and do it yourself.

You will save thousands over time.

Nothing about it is hard.

If you cannot see yourself doing a timing belt, if that's required, any local good garage can do that, just get them to do the timing belt, water pump.

The problem with getting basic work done at "tuning shops" is that they cost alot of money, this is a fair thing though because you get what you pay for, usually, but that is really only required for their technical expertise, there is nothing technical about doing the basic service stuff.

Plus money saved can be better spent on parts, or shiny things for the missus to take her focus of the car parts that she found stashed in the garage.

Plus there is nothing more satisfying than working on your car.

Basic service parts cost around $100 - $150 dependent on parts required.

14 hours ago, eVo25t said:

I'm talking timing belt, water pump, gearbox oil, diff oil and probably needs a dyno run too. I'm stuck because I moved to a unit and dont have all my stuff anymore

I've never used one but here is an option, maybe, depends on cost though.

https://www.diyautogarage.com.au/about/

4 hours ago, mlr said:

I've never used one but here is an option, maybe, depends on cost though.

https://www.diyautogarage.com.au/about/

I always wondered about the legalities of such a business, cool idea though. I miss the days of servicing my car on the street in Elizabeth Bay getting death stares from all the hoity toity locals :4_joy:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GTofuS-T said:

I always wondered about the legalities of such a business, cool idea though. I miss the days of servicing my car on the street in Elizabeth Bay getting death stares from all the hoity toity locals :4_joy:

I would love to start up a shop like that, with a gym with only racks and free weights

Oh, and a bar

It would be just like my old garage, only without the comments of, "how long are you gonna be", "can you keep the noise down", "how much have you drunk", "do you think it's a good idea to drink and train/work on the car in the state your in".

That shit gets tiresome..

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, r32-25t said:

Must wear safety glasses at all times, f**k that

Only a small inconvenience.

I actually aways wear safety glasses whenever I'm under the car, usually if I got shit in my eye working under the stands my head would bounce between the floor and some part of the undercarriage at least 10 times....

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

Hello Mr Tough Eyes

Do you use your eyes to turn a ratchet? If I’m grinding I’ll use glasses, if I’m undoing a sump plug I’m fine without them