SAU Community

R34 skyline with diff issues

Hey guys, currently I’m running an s14 diff in my 34 skyline (don’t ask why) it came that way ? from my understanding it’s roughly the same as all S chassis and R chassis run r200s. Mine however is starting to slip and isn’t locking the way it should so there are definitely some teeth missing and she’s abit worn out. What’s the best plan of action here is what I’m trying to get at ? Should I rip the whole rear end out and convert back to stock gtt rear end or should I get the s14 one fixed. If so where is a good reliable place to take it to??

any help would me much appreciated. 

Jake 

Neither S14s nor R34s have mechanical LSDs with "teeth*".  They are viscous** and they are poo anyway (when new) and only get worse as they get older.  They are not "fixable", as no-one would bother going to the effort to repair a viscous centre.

The ratio on an S14 diff is also very tall, so your speedo should be reading very low cf. your actual speed.  All in all, it's enough to wonder if it is true that you have an S14 diff in there.

Do some reading on here for the millions of recommendations on what to do for diffs in these cars.  Thousands and thousands of threads.

* Lots of teeth actually - but they are not what makes it "slip" or not slip.  Broken teeth = insta-death for most diffs.

** Unless a rare R34 with a helical diff.

Thanks for the info mate will have a look around to see what I can ungrade too since this one is so shit it only ever locks up half the time aswell it definitely belongs in the trash. It was installed in the car when I got it and I have receipts and everything for it so it’s pretty believable that it’s in there. 

I can't imagine why anyone would waste the effort required to poor an S14 diff (the stock one) into a Skyline. Does the invoice describe the diff in any other terms? If it is an aftermarket centre that was intended for an S14, but got put in to the R34 CW&P and housing, then that's a whole 'nother thing.

I have a receipt that states that an s14 viscous LSD and drive shafts have been installed in the car by the previous owner... 

either way mine is starting to act more like an open diff. what would the be the best option to go for when swapping this one out? what diff is everyone running and whats your experience with it?