SAU Community

Engine loom confusion between s1 and s2 neo6

Hey guys, 

currently going though converting my 25gt 34 to a gtt. Before anyone says it’s not worth it, it is to me cause I’ve basically build that car and brought it back to life and it looks like a

beast but just needs to go faster lol. Now I have an s2 rb25det neo sitting there waiting to drop but I need a loom and ecu. Ecu is covered but I need a loom to suit the engine going in. Is there a difference between an s1 r34 loom and s2? I have an s1 ready to go but don’t know if it will be compatible with my s2 motor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Jake 

6A5BF851-FCFB-419A-8BA2-E116B5479925.jpeg

ABC65510-EC5D-46F6-8E7D-96103FA1F2F3.jpeg

Well, it's easier if it's a manual.

The easiest way, for sure, no doubt, and still the best thing to do is move all of the cosmetic mods into a Turbo car.

I had/have a S2 car and there's quite a few things that 'the internet says should be the same' but aren't. That said, I can't actually recall too many of them, things like indicator stalk plugs etc are different.

However, if you have the technical know how to swap a motor and swap a loom and ECU then the differences on a plug's moulding aren't going to stop you.

But to return to the first point... if you DO have the technical know how to swap a motor and swap a loom and convert an ECU, you'd know that the best way to approach this is swap the bodykit over to the turbo car 10/10 times.

Thank you for the advice @Kinkstaah . Trust me I’ve thought about this long and hard and I’ve come close to taking the easy way out and selling the car + engine and all other parts I’ve collected and just buying a factory turbo however I’ve had this car since I first started driving and I know every inch of the car like the back of my hand. The sentimental value of the car is worth too much for me to sell it and hence why I’ve decided to go with the hard route and proceed with the conversion. I’m confident with the mechanical side of things, more than confident Installing wiring but I don’t have much knowledge or experience in modifying wiring and I havnt messed around with RBs prior to this conversion hence why I’ve made this post to make sure the parts I’m gathering are going to all match up.  I’ve got a series 2 rb25det neo ready to go in and I’ve just sourced a loom out of a s1 GTT but I’ve been told that there is no major difference between series 1 and s2 loom and ecu. Can yourself or anyone confirm this ? 

Thanks

I am pretty sure that an R33 ECU is quite different to an R34 neo one. If you do enough googling you should be able to confirm that. Put it this way if I were you I would be looking for an R34 neo ecu and loom,. A quick look at the pinout diagrams would tend to support this view.

BTW what do you mean by a series 2 Neo engine?

4 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

I am pretty sure that an R33 ECU is quite different to an R34 neo one. If you do enough googling you should be able to confirm that. Put it this way if I were you I would be looking for an R34 neo ecu and loom,. A quick look at the pinout diagrams would tend to support this view.

BTW what do you mean by a series 2 Neo engine?

I believe he is talking about early and late R34s, which are not as different as S1 and S2 R33s.  I'm pretty sure he's not talking about cross pollinating R33 stuff onto a Neo.

^--- almost certainly yes.

Keep in mind the NA car has quite a few other things missing from the turbo one. Bracing, Traction control, various other sensors, triple gauge cluster in the center for things like you know, a boost gauge, oil temp. The NA car's oil warmer/heater block has no provision for a Oil temp sensor, etc, blocked from factory.

I say this as I originally had a NA Series 2 and put a turbo engine into it.

The thing is the information isn't there online as you've probably found. When you start doing things that noone has done before, or decided against they are often the wrong thing to do.

The ECU is the same so it stands to reason that the pinouts and wiring for the loom will be the same. With all the issues I had over the years, not one was a "Hmmm maybe the S1 loom is different" then again, I may have not actually had a S2 Neo in my car anyway. The differences are that slight you'd almost never be able to truly know.

This kind of stuff is why "Buy a turbo car" is the answer. You'd then know 10000000% that the loom does match up, and it's already wired, and correctly running, you have the extra gauges you need and the various chassis bits under the car to cope with the turbo motor. The biggest problem with these cars is the amount of time people spend figuring out how to make it work with them sitting in garages, instead of being out on the road enjoying them.

*SEMI THREAD HIJACK* Basically the same question I need to ask so thought I would to this! R34 ECU Plugs are the same? Im fitting a series 1 NEO GTT lump into an ENR, So that's that end covered if they are the same. My final question then, with the ECU plug being the same, The basic sensors in the engine bay such as TPS, Coilpack harness, Fuel injector harness are the same. The sensors that I know are slightly different plugs but have the same amount of wires, can the plugs just be swapped to suit? If the ECU plug end is the same surely the wires are going to the same pins Albeit a slightly different connector?

Please note I have added any of the missing bracing from the GTT, And a full weld in cage to suit, Car also has a hybrid GTR/GTT Setup with brembos and suspension etc etc.... 

Thanks!

Edited by Toff