SAU Community

r32 gts-t faint vibration from the rear?

My gts-t is driving me nuts with a very faint vibration (can hear it and feel it through the seat) from the rear? that starts around 50 kph and then kind of dies out again and comes back around 100 kph (seems to get faster when it comes back), I had a look around at the back, one of the Hicas balljoints was gone and the wheel had about 5mm play, I have replaced that but it did not made a difference, also have tried a different set of rims and tyres to rule out a balancing issue, no difference. Wheel alignment isn't great, pulls quite hard to the left, going to go for one soon but I'm not sure that would cause a vibration? I'm thinking maybe a wheel bearing starting to go, failing that maybe gearbox output/driveshaft? Any thing else back there that might cause this?

I was thinking maybe tailshaft. Cvs etc.check tailshaft for any damage or possibly a weight falling off. Is it only at that speed or certain rpm??? Balancer maybe and sending vibrations through driveline. Center bearing???

• Thanks 1

Hmm I got a much needed wheel alignment and it seems to have made the vibration/noise 90% disappear, my guess is that something is still not quite right and the wheels being out of alignment was making it more pronounced. I'm thinking it could potentially be a wheel bearing in the very early stages of starting to go and just rumbling a bit?

Had a good look under the rear this morning at hanger bearing, u-joints, axles, hicas tie rods, everything seems good/tight (doesn't mean something isn't out of balance), then went for a 150km drive through some windy hills and didn't really notice the vibration/noise at all but once I was back on the flat smooth roads in town I could only just detect it. Might just have to give it some time and see if it worsens.

It was the center/hanger bearing, when checking under the car the first time it seemed ok but after dropping the driveshaft I found that the rubber was intact but the bearing itself had a fair bit of play in it so I think when the driveshaft was spinning at certain speeds it was causing it to vibrate, replaced it today and the noise is totally gone. Happy days.

• Like 1