SAU Community

Recovering rear GTR seat

tridentt150v

I have an R33 GTR seat set, 2 x front and rear bench.  I think they are out of a '96, they have the mauve/purple inserts in the headrest.

The top part of the rear seat was sun affected [ie faded and UV weakened/rotted] so I took it to a local upholstery business and it has languished there for a few months now.  They can't seem to find the grey brushed velour [not the centre inserts, we will be able to re use them] that is endemic to nearly every model.  So I am looking for a supplier that can sell me 3 metres of this material so I can get the seat finished.  Ideally I would go to some other business that can do the job but this would mean a long trip cos I live in a small town in the country, Sydney is 4 hrs away, Canberra is 2.  Plus I feel that if I can find the right material then the upholsterer should be able to do the job [surely its not that difficult].

So does anyone know of code numbers I can ask about [okish], or a supplier [better]?

TIA

Hey mate, I too had similiar damage to my rear seats. It will cost too much to get them fixed and chasing a perfect colour match will be difficult. I would suggest you looking on eBay, Gumtree and the Sales section of this forum to buy used seats and just replace them that way. 

Cheers,

lol....the fabric is available, I've had a section redone before [albeit around 10 years ago].  And the seats are going in my Gtst.  Buying used will turn up the same issue, all the rear seats fade across the top.  The rear window glass just lets that sun in big time!!!

I also have a set of genuine factory leather seats out of a SIII '98 R33 GTR that I've had refurbished [still have to remove and recoat/powdercoat the carriage to finish].  But was hoping to get the grey velour ones sorted as well.  leather is OK in the winter but burns like f#*k in the summer ?

I cheated and bought ridiculously expensive Nismo covers as the stitching kept bursting and material fading.

In some ways, I would love to keep the stanard R32 look but *every* time I get out of the car, the jeans on my fat arse rip the bolster

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Robzilla32 said:

I cheated and bought ridiculously expensive Nismo covers as the stitching kept bursting and material fading.

In some ways, I would love to keep the stanard R32 look but *every* time I get out of the car, the jeans on my fat arse rip the bolster

Can you post some photos of these "ridiculous expensive Nismo covers"? 

6 hours ago, Robzilla32 said:

Sample pic

img87900-rnr20-1.gif

They actually look quite very nice. Where did you get them from?

Nengun Performance has them for a crazy $1,700 plus postage. Wow.

https://www.nengun.com/nismo/seat-cover-set-skyline-gtr

Edited by Robocop2310

Those covers look very schmick Rob, but - to me - its like hiding rust with new paint.   And I can't afford $1700.  The material I want will cost much less than that, but just have to find the right knowledgeable person to help me source a supply.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tridentt150v said:

Still trying, still asking?

Give these guys a call. A mate of mine had a friend that had his seats repaired by these guys and he seemed happy. I have never used them personally but have  chat with them and let us know how you go.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/revesby/other-automotive/car-seat-upholstery-repair-sydney-leather-car-seat-repair/1101453969

• 1 month later...

You can get new seat covers made. They will make it to suit the new seat and they stitch it into the existing seat so they won't move. Just got mine done, however I'm in Melbourne.
The ones you posted from the website is a cover. You need to dismantle the seat and insert the cover on each section of the seat.
The one RoboCop sent the link through will custom make the covers and will do the same. Dismantle stitch into the existing seat so it doesn't move.

3 hours ago, CU's GTR said:

You can get new seat covers made. They will make it to suit the new seat and they stitch it into the existing seat so they won't move. Just got mine done, however I'm in Melbourne.
The ones you posted from the website is a cover. You need to dismantle the seat and insert the cover on each section of the seat.
The one RoboCop sent the link through will custom make the covers and will do the same. Dismantle stitch into the existing seat so it doesn't move.

Who did you use mate and can you please post some pictures?