SAU Community

Headunit with AC Controls

shubby0901

Hi All,

Has anyone incorporated the climate controls into a headunit for a R33 Skyline?

I want to look at a double din system but dont have the space so I need to get rid of the AC control's. The third slot will be used for gauges.

Thanks!

I have being looking at trying to incorporate the climate controls from a r34 into a tablet. I don't think you are able to do it with a head unit, as you need to send varying amount of volts into wires. As far as i am aware you cant do something like that on a head unit as it doesn't have the outputs to do it.

The only way i can think to do it is to use an arduino and a tablet / screen for an interface.

Keep in mind that what you guys are proposing is not completely trivial.  The climate computer on these cars is responsible for running the AC compressor clutch, varying the mode door and opening and closing the heater water line tap.  There are some reasonably sophisticated control loops programmed into it to get the cabin temperature to match the setpoint you give it. These are what ends up driving the water tap, the clutch and the mode door positions.  You'd want a pretty good idea of all the things that the existing one does, both from an external view (ie the signals in and out) but, more importantly, those internal calculations and loops.

I'm not saying don't do it.  I'm just saying if you want to program an Arduino to do it, you have to appreciate that you're emulating a possibly more complex piece of gear than you might have thought.