SAU Community

M35 stagea issues VQ25DET

1990R32

Hi everyone, i have a friends m35 VQ25DET i'm working on and i'm having issues getting it running.

I have had the VVT gear crack on the passenger side and replaced it along with a new timing chain, guides and new tensioners. when i first started the car it ran fine,  then it developed a missfire. i shut the car off and cranked it over again, it took a while to start back up but was still popping, i moved the car out of the garage and went up the street to see if it might clear up, it stalled when i approached my driveway and wouldn't start up again unless i unplug the cam sensor on the passenger side.

I've replaced the cam sensor off a spare engine i have but the issue continues, it pops and has no power, I rechecked the chain to make sure i got all the marks right and everything lines up. car cranks like a demon but wont fire with cam sensor plugged in. the car also has aftermarket injectors, front mount intercooler, some external waste gate welded onto the factory turbo. car is also on the standard ecu.

I unplugged the afm with the car running and it just stalls. if i plug the cam sensor back in while the car is idling, it will stay running but continue to pop and missfire through the rev range. but i believe the missfire and popping is due to having the cam sensor unplugged. i think it has put the passenger side of the engine into a batch fire mode cause when i use the scan tool to disable injectors it starts to idle.

I've also noticed when i have the passenger cam sensor plugged in i have no injector pulse and no spark on both sensors.

has anyone had a similar issue ?