SAU Community

Sputtering 3000RPM - V36 Skyline VQ35HR - Help

Hey people.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea whatsoever what the issue may be with my V36.

It recently started sputtering around 3200RPM as you can see in the video (Please ignore my dodgy display), nothing has been changed recently and I have tried resetting the ECU/throttle position/idle air/etc.

I've checked for exhaust leaks and can't seem to see anything, the ecu is throwing a throttle position sensor code however advice from the interwebs mentioned to just reset the throttle position and nothing more.  Happens in Auto and tiptronic regardless of gear, the only time it doesn't occur is when my foot is to the floor however that isn't feasible :P.

Cheers in advance!

Video of sputtering

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Dead/dying coil(s).  Dirty AFM.  Dying fuel pump.  These are the usual suspects.

Cheers for that, cleaned up the AFM however that didn't resolve it.

I'll try have a look at the coils/fuelpump soon however I would've thought this would happen all over the rev range if it was them?

Decided to tighten all the bolts up and clean the throttle bodies then reset the tps/etc.

Codes afterwards are:

Seems to be something to do with either the TPS or Accelerator pedal however I cleared the codes then went for a driv3 and intermittently the CEL would flash once for a second or half a second then go off randomly, car wss driving fine during this time.

Any ideas?

Its the weirdest case now because there are zero codes showing, and no CEL comes on anymore however still something weird at that 3200 range.

Took apart the accelerator pedal but all looks pretty fine there aside from someone having opened it in the past and put an extra spring in with a piece of foam.  MAF and Coils diagnose fine ?

New weird issue...  Slip/ VDC off / 4WAS light recently came on after I started driving today....interwebs says brake fluid but that definitely can't be the case.

In saying that I did recently pull the calipers off and paint them, I'm wondering if a sensor in the hub got damaged from impact wrench...?

4 hours ago, VirtualWolf said:

New weird issue...  Slip/ VDC off / 4WAS light recently came on after I started driving today....interwebs says brake fluid but that definitely can't be the case.

In saying that I did recently pull the calipers off and paint them, I'm wondering if a sensor in the hub got damaged from impact wrench...?

Have you recently installed a new BOV or POD Filter? If so, try going back to stock and then seeing if this has stopped it. Might be a malfunctioning product or your car needs to be retuned after adding new parts.