SAU Community

New member - First post - Need help with v35 wheels

Hi all!

I am a brand new member but long time lurker hailing from Victoria.

I know that this topic has been raised a few times here and I am unsure about the posting etiquette, but each time I search I end up leaving confused and feeling uncertain…

I would be really grateful for any opinions and inputs from you veterans!

So, I am the proud owner of a V35 coupe (pearl white) and I am on the hunt for some decent wheels to fit flush… Budget preferably $1500-$2000 with tyres (am open to 2nd hand in good nick of course). Right now as you can see in the pictures I am running HRS556 18’’/8.5/45 offset all round + 5mm spacers rear fitted by the shop WHICH I want to get rid of realising they are not legal. I paid $1400 for wheels/tyres fitted with an alignment in a package deal when I knew nothing… SO basically I have screwed myself once by getting the wrong offset and can’t afford to do it again. – I am willing to admit I am still a noob by the way, this is my first car with doing anything to… A divorce present from me to me to keep me sane. ^_^

How tucked the wheels are, especially in the rear really bothers me. I have read that 9.5 fronts + 10.5 rears with 22 offset is perfect for flush right?

-          I will also re-sell the current wheels to subsidize my losses

The main two wheels I am looking at are:

1. Silver or black centre/mirror lip ESR SR series, SR06 in 18’’ mostly (Pretty much well-made WORK reps) 9.5 fronts +30 and 10.5 rears + 22, will cost about 1550 for just the wheels without there being a Christmas sale or something/can get a couple hundred cheaper from USA. – Don’t want to spend heaps on rims and cheap out on tyres though… 

2. Gloss black mirror lip Simmons FR1s 17/18’’ 17s are 17/8.5 Fronts and 17/9.5 Rears, custom offsets for $25 per wheel. Or 18/8.5 Front and 18/9.5 rear. On sale for about $1250 without tyres leaving room to get some mid-range rubber. – Located near me
ad here: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rowville/wheels-tyres-rims/18-inch-simmons-fr1-wheels-18x8-5-x9-5-rims-alloy-x4-5x114-3/1195743347

Now I know what people think about Simmons being a Falcadore wheel, but they seem like a strong reputable wheel, due to being a simple style with a little dish & in black/mirror on a white car it would look clean/nice

My argument for 17s is I actually like the look of more tyre, would I get a smoother ride too? (18 is still nice) if so what specs and would the offset change from 18s or is that based on width? Anyone recommend the offset for 9.5 rears if they don’t make 10.5?

All that being said love looking at all of your 20s, but not for me.

Clearly I am lost here and really don’t want to mess it up again.

My car right now:

-          Guards are not rolled in the rear, don’t really want to either if possible and I have read most people with these kind of specs don’t anyway

-          I don’t want poke or to do anything that could get me defected, this is only meant to be a clean & nice looking daily cruiser (probably ceramic coating the paint soon) – just straight flush

-          Stock height

Thanks guys!
Ps. Are there any meets or shows in Vic? I would love to get out and into scene (if there is one) just to look & learn etc.

SAU v35 1.jpg

SAU v35 2.jpg

Sounds like you need to take your car to a few tyre and wheel shop and find one that is willing to do the right thing and measure you up for what you want. Buying online packages is hit and miss. 

It's hard to get it right. So many different ideas on what looks right/good from the internet.