SAU Community

Carbon fiber wrapping door trims anyone?

Hi guys, 

I just noticed my R33 GTR front door trims are starting to show its age and shows some rips so it's time for me to do something that I've always wanted to try which is to wrap them in carbon fiber. Has anyone done this and how hard was it? Which time of wrap did you use and how long did it take?

Also, does the wrap come with adhesive or will have I to spray it with adhesive glue? 

Any photos would be great!

Image result for r33 gtr carbon fiber door card

Edited by Robocop2310

Sorry but that’s a terrible idea. It looks soo trashy.
Either find second hand replacements or if you are dead set on carbon try finding someone that makes inner door trims

7 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

It won't stay stuck to something that moves, like the padded vinyl that the door trims already are.  Will bubble and lift and....look trashy.  More trashy even than when it was fresh.

What you said is 100% spot on. I just spoke one of my friends who does vinyl wrapping on the side and he said the same. 

I just came back from a Jap wrecker and bought used replacement trims ended up costing $250 for the pair but you're right better idea as wrapping is probably not an option.

Thanks for your reply - helpful as usual!

9 hours ago, UWISSH! said:

Sorry but that’s a terrible idea. It looks soo trashy.
Either find second hand replacements or if you are dead set on carbon try finding someone that makes inner door trims

You're right mate. I thought about it and felt this would sacrileges to do especially toward a GTR so I ended up going to a local wrecker and buying replacement trims.  

I guess for a 25 year old car the trims being worn is a given. 

Thanks for your honest opinion. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CU's GTR said:

You can get carbon fibre dipping done. I have done it to the dash on the car. It looks friggin awesome.
The guy is in Ferntree fully and can get his details if you need it. Don't wrap it it will peel over time.

Sounds good. Post up some details and pictures if you can mate I'm sure many people will be interested. 

That isn't the case. The surfaces are dipped and a clear is.dprayed over the top.
They dip wheels and anything that is possible. If wheels can be dipped and driven without flaking so can most surfaces.
Ring this guys and he will tell you of it will work.
People will give opinions on something they dont know much about.

As for the steering wheel, I got this one off eBay. I was originally doing to get the steering done by ultimate auto trim. They do that as well and what every style and design you like.
However I found this on eBay and so I have the original steering wheel for the car. The original steering wheel is immaculate, so I would have been a shame to dedicate it. [emoji41]
Jump onto their website or eBay and it shows what they have done so far.

OK, here's an exercise for you.  Go dip a vinyl glove.  Let it dry.  Put it on.  Scrunch your fingers.  What do you think will happen to the dip?  Really?  What do you think will happen?

Wheels are rigid surfaces.  Door trims are NOT.  They are vinyl backed by polyurethane foam to give them the "soft touch" experience that people want.  If you want the tacky tacky experience of carbon fibre dipped door trims, tou would first have to remake the door trims out of something hard, like ally, or fibreglass.....or carbon fibre.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

OK, here's an exercise for you.  Go dip a vinyl glove.  Let it dry.  Put it on.  Scrunch your fingers.  What do you think will happen to the dip?  Really?  What do you think will happen?

Wheels are rigid surfaces.  Door trims are NOT.  They are vinyl backed by polyurethane foam to give them the "soft touch" experience that people want.  If you want the tacky tacky experience of carbon fibre dipped door trims, tou would first have to remake the door trims out of something hard, like ally, or fibreglass.....or carbon fibre.

All this is too hard so I ended up getting second hand door trims from a local wrecker for $300. 

I must admit, door trims don't get seen very often so it doesn't matter too much what it looks like, I guess.