SAU Community

Power FC won’t connect to laptop

12 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

So what are you using to connect it? USB-serial adapter?

My mate has the proper Alexi software and plug in adapter to the USB.

It’s a “razor performance” USB adaptor or something, I’ll ask.

But yeh, it’s all the official software and all.

USB-Serial adapters are famously a pain in the arse.  There are basically 2 or 3 chipsets in all of them.  Some of them just do not work with different peripherals.  Others work fine.  I have no knowledge of what works with the PFC.

Assuming you can get the converter to play ball with Windows, the PFC software will want to be talking to a particular COM port.  You will have to check that in the software's config and then you will want to see (in device manager) that that COM port is actually being provided by the adapter.  Sometimes you get silly shit, like the software only allows you to choose between COM1 to 3, but the adapter only provides COM15 or something equally stupid.  Sometimes there are ways to fix that sort of problem, sometimes it's just a case of trying another adapter.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

USB-Serial adapters are famously a pain in the arse.  There are basically 2 or 3 chipsets in all of them.  Some of them just do not work with different peripherals.  Others work fine.  I have no knowledge of what works with the PFC.

Assuming you can get the converter to play ball with Windows, the PFC software will want to be talking to a particular COM port.  You will have to check that in the software's config and then you will want to see (in device manager) that that COM port is actually being provided by the adapter.  Sometimes you get silly shit, like the software only allows you to choose between COM1 to 3, but the adapter only provides COM15 or something equally stupid.  Sometimes there are ways to fix that sort of problem, sometimes it's just a case of trying another adapter.

Thanks heaps, we will have a look into it and I’ll post if we figure it out ??

Google "PaulR33 Power FC FAQ'

There may be something in there. As per above, I think the Apexi softwear you have to manually choose the COM port, but FC Edit I know has an auto function to work out which COM port is being used. However this does not always guarantee it will work

Generally it will default to COM1 but if you are running windows, you should be able to go to hardware manager and see the USB to serial device there and it will either tell you what COM port is set in the properties or allow you to choose one

Be aware that the outdated PS/2 cables that Power FC's use are tempremental at times and I have seen them play up if they have been bent, squashed or mistreated. If you have a handcontroller and it works, either something to do with the cable/box for connecting to the PC is stuffed, or you have a hardware/setting problem with the PC.

As per above, some USB to serial adapters are terrible and some work flawlessly.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 89CAL said:

Google "PaulR33 Power FC FAQ'

There may be something in there. As per above, I think the Apexi softwear you have to manually choose the COM port, but FC Edit I know has an auto function to work out which COM port is being used. However this does not always guarantee it will work

Generally it will default to COM1 but if you are running windows, you should be able to go to hardware manager and see the USB to serial device there and it will either tell you what COM port is set in the properties or allow you to choose one

Be aware that the outdated PS/2 cables that Power FC's use are tempremental at times and I have seen them play up if they have been bent, squashed or mistreated. If you have a handcontroller and it works, either something to do with the cable/box for connecting to the PC is stuffed, or you have a hardware/setting problem with the PC.

As per above, some USB to serial adapters are terrible and some work flawlessly.

Sweet, thanks heaps for the info ??

We’ve used thesame set up to tune 2 bother power FC’s (brothers r33 and our track car).

ill have a look at paulr33’s stuff now ☺️

Using an FC Hako I end up having to fk around with the com ports nearly every time. It eventually works but it comes down to me remembering which USB port it's supposed to go into and a combination of opening the app after connecting or connecting while the app is open or connecting before ignition on and waiting for the moons to align. But it does eventually connect...fortunately there's rarely someone behind me at the servo when changing tunes over with it.

• Thanks 1

UPDATE!

So I pinched my brothers controller.

when I plug it in, the revs spike a little bit.

on the controller, twice the logo popped up then turned off, once it went through to the menu then cut out again.

the ecu works, just having issue connecting it to anything.

PLEASE HELP!

i don’t want to think I got ripped on a shit ecu

1 hour ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Does your brother have a Power FC as well? Try swapping it over. Better to repair or replace your ecu before you waste the tuner's time (and your dollars).

He does, we have 3 in total, one in our track car, one in my brothers and my faulty one.

weve plugged the track car one in, tuned it our selves and it ran great.

just wondering if there’s any way around the fault or a way of fixing it.

the software and plug we used worked fine on the other 2 FC’s.