SAU Community

Datsun engine

Project skyline

Hey everyone, I just thought I should ask everyone’s opinions on my problem. I plan on buying a Datsun c211 as a project. It will be my first project car and I don’t know what engines will fit without any major changes. Such as if any rb engines would fit?

thanks in advance to anyone that can help and I look forward to reading your advice.

21 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

All of that can be fixed too.  There's no point in building one of these as a resto-original project.  No-one cares about an old slow Skyline.  An old fast Skyline is cool.

Depends what OP is trying to do I guess.. around the world I'd say more people would be into the old slow (but sounds cool af with triple carbs) Skyline than an RB swapped basically S13 underneath.. 

• Like 1

I like triples, but superchargers sound better.  I like superchargers, but turbos are massively better at making power.

In a world where NA engines are 6+ liters......~2.5L NA 6s are just missing something vital.  Power.  And torque.  This is fixed with boost.

The only old Skyline I would leave unmolested is a genuine GTR.  All others are fit only for scrap or speed projects.  Let's face it - the interior of any 1970s Jap car is no nice place to be, even if you drop cubic $$ on retrimming.  They are just nasty, poorly laid out ergonomic nightmares with twinky instruments and noodle thin control stalks.  You need something to take your mind off of all that when driving them.  Hell.....my R32 is a nasty place to be inside of, and it's not as if it's worn out and stuffed.  It is near factory perfect.  It's a hell of a step up from an R31, which in turn was a step up from the 70s.

Don't get me wrong - I'd have a 70's Skyline as a project (if I had the time/space/energy) in a heartbeat.  I don't hate them.  But I am very realistic about what they're good for.

It's definitely different strokes for different folks. Power is not what it is all about when owning these classics.

Decide what you want to get out of the car before buying engines. Remember going RB will be sump, fuel, diff ,gerbox mods. Plus you'll have to open up the tunnel to fit a larger gearbox. Then you will have engineering headaches if done legally.

You could put some triples on the engine, better camshaft, exhaust and have a nice car. If you want to go a little further you can do some piston swaps to bring up compression and/or port the head. Again, just depends on what you want to do.

• 2 weeks later...