SAU Community

ECU's other than Apexi FC that can get you to a tuner

Pattey21

Hi gents,

I am hoping to drive to a tuner with parts installed like you can with an Apexi FC but seeing what ecu options there are that can do the same around the 1k cost.

Basically trying to save cost on labour by installing injectors, AFM prior and weed out any setup issues prior to going to a tuner.

Other reason is limited option in Canberra so may need to drive to NSW.

Other options I'm looking at is R32 nistune (as the firmware can now run vct without window switch) or Adaptronic as I already have purchased a hypergear turbo.

My mods are very basic, hypergear 21u 350hp high flow, usual breathing mods. Will probably make 230-250max.

Car is already tuned with stock turbo and safc 200rwkw and pretty good milage. 400-450ks a tank (half city half highway)

So I have 2 questions

1.Do nistune or Adaptronic have this capability via laptop so I can drive it gingerly to a tuner?

2. Will either of these be better for daily driver ability ie, idle, partial throttle response and economy.

Autotech in Canberra and some of the other tuners I have spoken to do all three options.

Cheers

Adaptronic will suit your requirements.

If budget permits a Link or a Haltech is a step up.

Nistune you need a license to be able to make changes, however generally customers I've tuned you can get the car in an "ok" state when you upgrade the AFM and also the injectors at the same time. Might idle about 11~12 AFR and drive a bit shit but it's enough to get to the dyno.

13 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Adaptronic will suit your requirements.

If budget permits a Link or a Haltech is a step up.

Nistune you need a license to be able to make changes, however generally customers I've tuned you can get the car in an "ok" state when you upgrade the AFM and also the injectors at the same time. Might idle about 11~12 AFR and drive a bit shit but it's enough to get to the dyno.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would like a link or haltech but I don't really have the budget  for it.

I have a friend with nistune license software so can at least set that up. 

I guess given my pretty basic setup, am i going to gain benefit in daily drivability and economy with either of these two over a power fc

Of course, Nistune is light years ahead of a PowerFC.

If you decide to get a Nistune, I suggest finding a compatible RB20DET ECU and get the board installed. Don't use a Z32 ECU, I've had so many problems with them.

Nistune has full flex, launch control. boost control, basic engine protection - things a PowerFC does not have.

A Power FC is no different from any other ECU in needing to be tuned for the turbo injectors etc that you have fitted. It has no magic properties that allows it to tune itself. Nistune would be the cheapest but I believe Hypergear is selling Adaptronics so you may be able to get one, with a good enough tune to drive to a tuner,  supplied with it.

I drove my Link over 30km to my tuner when I built my engine without really touching anything (bar setting up all the sensors etc)

Was horribly rich, but made it there fine just cruising along.