SAU Community

NA to turbo help

FizZe

Hey guys 

So I am currently on my P plates in QLD and am driving an R33 Rb20de. I would like to know if it is possible to convert from NA to turbo whilst still remaining P plate legal and if so how to go about doing it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

thx

6 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Just put an RB20DET/RB25DET in, easier than converting. Either way it would still be illegal.

rb20det are legal with an exemption which is why I thought I could turbo up my current engine.

I dont want recommendations telling me to save up to buy a GTR or a better car once off my P plates I would like some genuine advice about putting a turbo on my car plz. Also money is not an issue.

Edited by FizZe

OK then.  This question has been asked many times before on this forum.  Do some searching and find the answers.  You will find all of the answers from those who have gone through it themselves telling you not to do it.  But feel free to ignore us.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, FizZe said:

I dont want recommendations telling me to save up to buy a GTR or a better car once off my P plates I would like some genuine advice about putting a turbo on my car plz. Also money is not an issue.

Take it to a shop and tell them money isn't an issue. Wait a while and bam, done.

You've heard it a million times and annoying as it is, doing a turbo engine swap or whatever would be the best way to go. Turboing a RB20 won't make crazy power unfortunatly or be close to your expectations. If you're planning on keeping your R33 for a longtime, going for a RB25DET would be best in terms of cost, power, time, etc.

If you're really set on turboing your RB20, then from the top of my head you'll be needing the following bits and probably more... Also keep in mind you probably won't be able to push anything more than 7psi of boost safely on stock internals and you'll need to upgrade your brakes and stuff aswell.

Use factory or replacement turbo parts is up to you...
-RB20DET/RB25DET turbo or something else
-Intercooler
-Uprated fuel pump
-Bigger injectors
-Chipped RB20DE ECU, RB20DET  or something else
-Manifold
-Turbo downpipe, exhaust, etc
-Oil & water lines