SAU Community

New from KY

KYR32GTR

Hello all,

I have just purchased and driven from Florida my new to me 89 metallic red GTR. It is basically amazing and what I was hoping for from the beginning. So far I have had only two issues. Right out of the gate, the car lot, the pump dies leading to a diagnosis of the fuel pump controller failing, a quick bypass and it's back to normal.. bow I'm looking at a headlight issue.. the switch always sends power but the relay doesn't always click and work. Tomorrow I hope to source a replacement and get into a general inspection and ensure everything is tight, clean and up to date on all the maintenance.

FB_IMG_1539910425808.jpg

I have relays between my switch and the headlights, and the switches still arc up.  The damage was done 20 years ago.  It's hard to bring them back to the freshness required for them not to get dirty again, even with just relay coil loads on them.

And R32s don't typically have H4 globes either.  H1 & H3.

On 10/25/2018 at 11:26 PM, GTSBoy said:

Headlight switches on these things get arc marks on the contacts.  You can dismantle them and clean the carbon off and they work again for a couple of years.  Rinse and repeat.

Thank you. I'll try that this week. Put a new Nissan relay in yesterday and it's better but still has random non function so o have to click it on and off

On 10/26/2018 at 3:28 PM, GTSBoy said:

I have relays between my switch and the headlights, and the switches still arc up.  The damage was done 20 years ago.  It's hard to bring them back to the freshness required for them not to get dirty again, even with just relay coil loads on them.

And R32s don't typically have H4 globes either.  H1 & H3.

Yeah I cleaned mine up twice before changing it to a decent condition one. Also had burnt plugs. 100W bulbs don't work.

Standard wiring has H4 plug with an "adaptor/splitter" type thing that splits it to H3 and H1.