SAU Community

Major service needed?

FedBpy2018

Hello,

I've done alot of searching and havent been able to find anything specifically

I just bought a 96 R33 GTST has current rego in nsw and pink slip, it'll be transfered to Vic.

It has almost 190,000 kms on it even though it has a good service history i know there comes a point where all cars need to have a major service on them, my question is what do i need to do? Never done anything more then oils, coolent and sparks

If someone could let me know what else should be replaced that would be great

Um.......you could do a search.  There would be thousands of threads telling people what to do on "major" services or what to do on a paranoid just bought it service.

Timing belt & waterpump, thermostat, oxy sensor are the obvious non-obvious ones.

You say it has a good service history - look at the history...what has been done at 100,000? If there is in fact no info, no sticker to say the cambelt has been replaced then search for a major service list (no its not the same service every time - infrequent items include the cambelt, water pump, changing the brake fluid). You will be able to find a comprehensive service list by searching.

If I pick up up a car with no, or questionable service history I do everything up and including the service required at the current odo reading or date.

For a car with 190k on it I would, without looking at the owners manual because I don't have one...

Flush every oil and fluid and replace every oil and coolant, engine, gearbox, diff, coolant, brakes

Every filter

Timing belt

Water pump 

Idler

Spark plugs 

I would inspect and change if required:

All heater hoses

Rubber brake lines

Brake pads/discs

Wheel bearings

Serpentine belts

Dampers

Bushings.

There is most likely alot of stuff I've missed.

Find a owners manual or post with required services at intervals 

Once I have serviced the car to the best of my ability I will take it to a "good" workshop and get them to run it up on a dyno for a health check, and inspection, a good mechanic can diagnose and maybe pick some things missed by me.

As for parts, only change the things that require changing, it's gonna cost you a heap, don't waste cash on things that may not be required.

Once it's serviced the next vital step, which is most important, is to do a skid....

http://www.skyline-owners-club.com/forums/downloads/R33_All_Engine_Manual.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

The owner wasnt able to show me any recipts apart from a HD clutch being installed last year but they reassured me it was done.....so im going to replace the all belts, fuel filter, do the oils and coolant, tranny oil, brakes, maybe rotors if it needs doing, brake fluid as a maybe, maybe the knock sensor and thats all i can think of unless ive left something out then go get it dyno'd and maybe tunned, does anyone in the wodonga area know of any decent dyno places to go to that wont cost an arm and a leg?

Edited by FedBpy2018

• 3 weeks later...

water pump, idler wheels, wheel bearings, diff oil, injector clean, there is a workshop manual online somewhere.  Find it and download it.

Here is one location: https://manuals.co/workshop/nissan/skyline

Unless it has an aftermarket ECU [nistune, Link, Power Fc etc] getting it dyno'ed is probably a waste of time tbh.