• Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


Recommended Posts

So ive seen this done in Japan a few times and i got to wondering why it might be done? It seems like it would only add complication to the engine.

Is it a more responsive setup for the engine or really only "cooler engine bay" type mod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ITBs are much snappier (throttle response) than a big open plenum - hence why the 26 had them in the first place.  Realistically, on an RB20, it is nothing more than a looks cool / internet points type of thing than being of any usefulness.  Doesn't really affect how much power or torque you can make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

ITBs are much snappier (throttle response) than a big open plenum - hence why the 26 had them in the first place.  Realistically, on an RB20, it is nothing more than a looks cool / internet points type of thing than being of any usefulness.  Doesn't really affect how much power or torque you can make.

So realistically its not even going to help with response on an RB20? I wonder why people do it at all? Ive seen plenty in Japan and found several companies that make full adaptor plate sets to bolt it on directly.

Edited by Hcr32typem
Shpelling arrors... :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will help with throttle response....that 10th of a second when you modulate the throttle is much better.  Boost response is a totally different thing and, no, it will not help at all.

People do it because OMG WTF !!!  RB26 Godzirra!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There would likely be some advantage to the 26 itb's if the engine was purposed for high rpm operation only, other than that it's a waste of time and money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did it on my car and while i don't regret doing it i would not do it again or recommend it to others. If i had my time over i would have gone plazmaman top half and a DBW throttle 100%. 

Do not, and i repeat, do not buy the OtakuGarage adapter plate. It looks great but the f**king around required getting it to (barely) fit is nothing short of a nightmare and requires a lot of custom fabricaiton to be done. Who else out there is offering an adapter kit?

 

rb26.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

I did it on my car and while i don't regret doing it i would not do it again or recommend it to others. If i had my time over i would have gone plazmaman top half and a DBW throttle 100%. 

Do not, and i repeat, do not buy the OtakuGarage adapter plate. It looks great but the f**king around required getting it to (barely) fit is nothing short of a nightmare and requires a lot of custom fabricaiton to be done. Who else out there is offering an adapter kit?

 

rb26.JPG

It does look very nice those. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

I did it on my car and while i don't regret doing it i would not do it again or recommend it to others. If i had my time over i would have gone plazmaman top half and a DBW throttle 100%. 

Do not, and i repeat, do not buy the OtakuGarage adapter plate. It looks great but the f**king around required getting it to (barely) fit is nothing short of a nightmare and requires a lot of custom fabricaiton to be done. Who else out there is offering an adapter kit?

 

rb26.JPG

The on i found i liked in particular is a TS Factory part from Japan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Got a link to it?

http://ts-factory-hp.com/product.html

Its the third product down on the left. 

Im mostly interested if its more responsive mainly because the build on my Type M is to make 220kw or so but have much better response. I live in the mountains and having a super responsive package is ideal for the roads i drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To repeat, ITBs can in no way affect the type of "response" that most people mean when talking about turbos.  The "response" of a turbo engine is usually assumed to mean where the boost threshold is or how laggy it is (which are not the same thing).  It is not usually meant to refer to the throttle response.  ITBs are all about throttle response.  The reason they are so snappy is simply because the volume of inlet runner downstream from the throttle plates is much smaller and the effect on the flowrate is therefore that much faster.  In the order of 1 or 2 tenths of a second though....not hundreds of rpm like with turbo response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hcr32typem said:

http://ts-factory-hp.com/product.html

Its the third product down on the left. 

Im mostly interested if its more responsive mainly because the build on my Type M is to make 220kw or so but have much better response. I live in the mountains and having a super responsive package is ideal for the roads i drive.

if you want response you're going to need a twin scroll, twin gate, divided rear housing setup. ITBs don't just magically give you unicorn response, what you do get is a tiny bit better transient response. 

Also On a RB20 going to a RB26 ITB you're going to actually degrade your mid range torque as well, and the bonus a laggier turbo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

if you want response you're going to need a twin scroll, twin gate, divided rear housing setup. ITBs don't just magically give you unicorn response, what you do get is a tiny bit better transient response. 

Also On a RB20 going to a RB26 ITB you're going to actually degrade your mid range torque as well, and the bonus a laggier turbo.

So realistically its more or less useless haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much, I would just run the stock plenum with a Plazmaman style or genuine plenum (if looks is what you're after) and spend that money on a decent turbo setup and cams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

if you want response you're going to need a twin scroll, twin gate, divided rear housing setup. ITBs don't just magically give you unicorn response, what you do get is a tiny bit better transient response. 

Also On a RB20 going to a RB26 ITB you're going to actually degrade your mid range torque as well, and the bonus a laggier turbo.

This is exactly what i have.

RB20 with twin scroll manifold, twin scroll rear housing, twin wastegates and even some EFR magicness. And RB26 ITB's. I promise you it's not worth the money lol, ask me how i know.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is exactly what i have.
RB20 with twin scroll manifold, twin scroll rear housing, twin wastegates and even some EFR magicness. And RB26 ITB's. I promise you it's not worth the money lol, ask me how i know.
 
How?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now