SAU Community

Centre Diff Bearings in WRX

Hi All,

I know its probably not the right spot to post but mechanics are mechanics.

Background info, car developed an annoying whine. Slowly got worse. This is the sound. Its the big bearing on the end of the viscous coupling.

None the less, Subaru want a kidney for the bearing. The bearing part number is 6911. My local shop ordered me a japanese KSM 6911 but there is a 2RS stamp on the bearing, indicating it is a double rubber seal bearing.

Shop guy said these work better than standard open bearings as crap and gunk will not get into the bearing and they're pregreased. My concern is the heat. I understand the standard open bearing will have continuous oil flow, helping pull heat away.

Is this of a concern?

A-8-6911-2RS-SKF-EN.jpg  VS 51WHKRIt%2BkL._SX342_.jpg

Does anyone know any shop or contact who has NSK 6911 open bearings available in Australia?

All help is greatly appreciated.

• 6 months later...

@SargeRX8 what was the outcome of this? i have exactly the same sound coming from my gearbox and have been told its either the centre diff, transfer gear bearings or centre diff bearing. im guessing it would be worth replacing all of the above but im curious if the bearing you installed got rid of the sound.  vid below of mine, happens around the same speeds as the vid you posted.