SAU Community

Looking for a R35 in Melbourne and not finding many condition one in the 110k mark

mahazara

Hey Guys, 

very new here. was always a Silvia fan boy and had those s13 to all the way to multiple S15s to Evos and houses, houses and now back in looking for a R35s as they are a bit affordable. 
looking in Carsales, i am not finding many good coindition R35's in Melbourne for the price i am willing to pay.
Some of the other question, is it worth buying a 35... looking for one for a while now and driven multiple so far.. but looks like my budget will get me a 2011 model at best case which i am not sure is even worth? 
Alternate option is thinking Audi RS3s which doesnt compare i know.. 
i know someone of you keyboard warrior will probably flog me before a proper answer,, so yeah.. just looking for some of your honest answers if you own a 35. What are they like, known issues and so on.. 

Regards,
J

My old man was vaguely looking at secondhand R35s a few years ago. I'm sure they're even cheaper now, but from what research I remember: If you have the budget, you probably don't want anything pre-2011 facelift.

It got a power-bump and is reportedly more fuel efficient. Bigger brakes, revised suspension. If i'm not mistaken they did fettle with the gearbox too as the early-production ones don't have a great reputation for reliability (though those were probably owned by muppets who could only afford the early ones and launched it too any times for their mates).

Correct cant see the justification of spending close to 140k for a 2014+ 35 that i can probably get for 100 or 110 for a 2011. but then doing all the research and couple of test drive, a) not finding a good condition and b) getting 2nd thought on whether its a risk getting a 2011 ish model and save that extra 30 -40 k ... 

yes read about all the gearbox dramas. from the driving experience, handling wise i felt more confident on an Evo handling than a R35 handling, the Evo felt very grippy on the road where as the R35 didnt compare.. not sure if thats cause of tyre or suspension maybe.. . but anyway.. yeah so i am stuck on whether to get a 2011 even 

Depends what you want the car for.

Is this a recreational weekend car? track car? daily?

Good thing is you've got your budget - there's plenty of choice at that price point. Are you strictly thinking Japanese performance cars? You mentioned you might be cross-shopping with an RS3, but like you said - they're very different cars.