SAU Community

Looking to Purchase R33 Advice

Ismail-R33

Hi guys, new to SAU have owned previously an R34 NA & a R32 GTST.

3 kids later convinced the Mrs i need another toy looking to spend good money on a R33 S2 GTST. Really hard to find a clean one in Vic.

My question is what challenges will i face if i buy interstate transferring rego getting RWC if i go this route? And is there any extra checks i should do e.g rego PPSR.

All advice greatly appreciated !

It's hard to tell you exactly what to look for, but my advice is to find a stock R33 because any modifications generally won't fly well with RWC testers so you won't be able to get it registered and even if you did get a dodgy RWC (let's call it what it is), you'll face the headaches of getting pulled over all the time and defected if you intend on driving it on the roads.

Very hard to find a stock Skyline. 

But usual checks definitely would be to check if the vehicle is registered, not stolen and has a good service history to begin with. Also open up the engine bay and look for signs of it getting repainted or restored following a major accident. 

Edited by Robocop2310
  • Like 1

Given the (lack of) money involved in buying these these days, I would suggest getting a 34 GTT instead.  Better motor, newer by several years, nicer in most ways than 33, and in the most important way - it doesn't look like a Maxima rear-ended a Magna.

Theres a guy in newbie Introductions selling his 1998 R34 25-GTT in victoria, and it looks very clean for a pretty decent price, but yeah just depends on what youre looking for, id argue to find a clean r34 thats aged well because skylines are getting old. Good luck with finding a car!

2 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Given the (lack of) money involved in buying these these days, I would suggest getting a 34 GTT instead.  Better motor, newer by several years, nicer in most ways than 33, and in the most important way - it doesn't look like a Maxima rear-ended a Magna.

Unless he’s after the R33 specifically.

Something about the 33 which is appealing at the moment, its hard to find a stock one i have weighed pros and cons ive going stock and building a 300kw car or buying one already producing these numbers by the time you build this from scratch numbers add up quickly verse buying someones current pride and joy for 13-14k.

It will just be a saturday sunday cruise car aswell no chapel street laps but definetly dont want to be constantly getting defected.

50 minutes ago, Ismail-R33 said:

Something about the 33 which is appealing at the moment, its hard to find a stock one i have weighed pros and cons ive going stock and building a 300kw car or buying one already producing these numbers by the time you build this from scratch numbers add up quickly verse buying someones current pride and joy for 13-14k.

It will just be a saturday sunday cruise car aswell no chapel street laps but definetly dont want to be constantly getting defected.

I applaud you fir liking the R33 and having individuality. I own both a R33 GTR and R34 GTR and must admit I find the R33 more aggressive and stylish due to the curves, flares and overall stance.

Keep looking mate don’t give up and go for a stock looking R33 not ones with all the RICE which will get you defected sooner or later.

If its not obnoxiously loud and you don't drive like a dickhead, you'll be fine. I've daily driven mine for the last 3 years, other than 1 booze bus and 1 speeding fine, never been pulled up or hassled for anything else. The car is far from stock but is always kept clean, presentable and not loud. Has big wheels(that fit within the guards), tyres, brakes, roll cage, bucket seat, aftermarket carbon (painted) front bar and body kit, fibreglass front fenders, wide over fenders at rear, carbon bootlid(unpainted), lowered on coilovers, aftermarket arms and swaybars.

I don't frequent hotspots like chapel st or any sort of street drags, thats asking to be put off the road.

Imho a lightly modded car, that has all the basics done, cooler, exhaust, ecu etc is the way to go. Try to find a car that has been looked after, dont buy anything that looks mistreated.

Good luck with your search, hope you find a good example.