SAU Community

Saw these coil conversions

There's absolutely no point in doing it.  The LS coils used to be the only way to get a big fat upgrade.  But they are a bit of a pain in the arse to use with narrow dwell limits, problems with fake copies, etc.  The new hotness is modern (truly modern, not the nearly modern that the LS coils are) pencil coils, like they use on just about everything these days.  The usual choices for RBs are Toyota (Yaris, Celica, etc), Audi R8, and even Nissan's own VR38 original coils.  They are all cheap, very powerful, reliable, etc etc.  The Toyota ones are Denso, which would be one of the best manufacturers of these things.  I think both the others are too.

Just now, GTSBoy said:

There's absolutely no point in doing it.  The LS coils used to be the only way to get a big fat upgrade.  But they are a bit of a pain in the arse to use with narrow dwell limits, problems with fake copies, etc.  The new hotness is modern (truly modern, not the nearly modern that the LS coils are) pencil coils, like they use on just about everything these days.  The usual choices for RBs are Toyota (Yaris, Celica, etc), Audi R8, and even Nissan's own VR38 original coils.  They are all cheap, very powerful, reliable, etc etc.  The Toyota ones are Denso, which would be one of the best manufacturers of these things.  I think both the others are too.

I had the similar convo with the guy in the comments of his post. 

The point in doing this is for the company to make money, because if they work then yes LS coils do provide a better spark than standard coilpacks. But people making LS coil kits for RB's are either

A - relying on skyline owners to usually be tight with their money and are offering an inferior product (to a true smart coil) at a price point more tempting to most people.

B - just behind the times if they think that LS coils are the best option out there in 2018

16 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

I suppose the advantage of the truck coils is you can can fit the coil cover back over the top.  Most of the pencil coils are too long.

Herman's design (Platinum Racing Products) fit under the OEM covers as you're supplied with new insulators. 

Haven't fully fitted mine yet because the harness made was cocked up lol. He reversed one coil but didn't leave enough slack on the harness lololol.. All good, replacement harness out this week. 

The Godzilla Motorsport / Billet Coil Kits R35 kit fits under the coil cover too - same kit as fitted to (was fitted to?) KING32 and the MotiveDVD R32 GT-R. 

BCK have their own custom R35 coil available now - tested to extremely high boost, RPM, and power levels.

My kit pictured below:

20181113_120438.jpg

20181113_120459.jpg

20181113_120530.jpg

Screenshot_20181106-122503_Facebook.jpg