• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

32psi

Making dog box sounds

I've always had a slight whine in 4th and 5th in my R33 Gtst 5spd but lately it's turned into a full blown dog box whine under acceleration. It varies a little with throttle and load but for the most part it's always there whilst driving. Is there a recommended transmission rebuilder for these gearboxes to take it to in Melbourne? What sort of parts am I looking at and is it likely to happen again due to power level or is it a wear issue?

My old boat would do this, 900ish nm and sticky tyres would chew up the stock boxes real quick.

I even had a good shop (award) rebuild it twice.

The poor old boxes are well past their OEM torque specs when the power goes up.

Flooging the hell out of them doesn't help the situation, but then why make the power and not use it in anger.

I'll admit it makes a ton of torque and has a GT42 in front of it but 98% of the time it see's sensible street use. Is it synchro's or bearings or? I was considering laying down the cash for a new oem box but not if it's going to be buttfcuked quickly.

Synchros don't make noise while the car is in gear and under drive.  The noise will either be bearings or it will be gear noise from worn meshing faces.  Or both.

I was told the torque was chewing the face off the gear.

A brand new OEM  gearbox lasted 3 passes on Mickey T,s, till it started growling like a dog that is.