SAU Community

Factory HID Legality

Caleb_M35

So I finally had a run in with some lovely members of the QPS Road Policing command today and they decided that my factory HID's in my NM35 are illegal. Does anyone have any resources on their legality? 

Unlucky. I've had a good run with retrofit HID and factory bi-xenon in various vehicles but I've always made sure they're not pointing up too high. My Stagea is set a few notches down from the top to avoid unwanted attention. I'm running 6000K D2R's from eBay and they light up the road fine. As mentioned, they are illegal since they don't meet ADR's.

Bugger. Looks like I'm chucking in some Supercheap Auto specials to pass roady in that case. I've never had any issues with the headlights as I often drive at night and have made it past 18 months without being pulled over. Oh well.. Cheers for the input! 

On 11/14/2018 at 5:47 PM, GTSBoy said:

They may well be illegal.  To meet ADRs that have to have washers and self levelling.  Do they?

https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving/safety-on-the-road/driving-safely/headlights

According to this, self-levelling and washers are only required if light output totals over 2000 Lumens. Colour, wavelength and UV emissions are the only criteria that must meet requirements if under that output. Currently trolling through the fun that is ADR Legislation 46/00 to find the hard evidence. I'll update when I find it...

1 hour ago, Caleb_M35 said:

https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving/safety-on-the-road/driving-safely/headlights

According to this, self-levelling and washers are only required if light output totals over 2000 Lumens. Colour, wavelength and UV emissions are the only criteria that must meet requirements if under that output. Currently trolling through the fun that is ADR Legislation 46/00 to find the hard evidence. I'll update when I find it...

And typical OEM lumen output is in the order of 2500-3000 lumens.  You will not be able to work that loophole.

On 11/14/2018 at 5:14 PM, Caleb_M35 said:

So I finally had a run in with some lovely members of the QPS Road Policing command today and they decided that my factory HID's in my NM35 are illegal. Does anyone have any resources on their legality? 

According to QLD TMR Minor Modifications Document ;

Headlights
Retro-fitting of gas discharge headlamps (commonly known as HID headlamps) and Light Emitting Diode (LED) headlamps to vehicles that were not originally supplied with such headlamps is only permissible if it can be shown that the:
• headlamp self-levelling device is fitted
• headlamp wiper and washer system is fitted
• complete headlamp assemblies, and not just the HID or LED globes, are certified to ADR or UN ECE Regs (with appropriate markings).

17 hours ago, Rusty Nuts said:

According to QLD TMR Minor Modifications Document ;

Headlights
Retro-fitting of gas discharge headlamps (commonly known as HID headlamps) and Light Emitting Diode (LED) headlamps to vehicles that were not originally supplied with such headlamps is only permissible if it can be shown that the:
• headlamp self-levelling device is fitted
• headlamp wiper and washer system is fitted
• complete headlamp assemblies, and not just the HID or LED globes, are certified to ADR or UN ECE Regs (with appropriate markings).

This is pretty much the extent of the information I've found. It only quotes retro-fitting into vehicles that were not originally supplied with HID headlamps. I have, however obtained conformation from a genuine Nissan spare parts supplier that they're available for distribution through dealerships within Australia. My VIN within the Nissan computer system also shows my car was factory fitted with HID headlamp units. 

Yes, but you're not listening to what we're saying.  It matters not one jot what the OEM fitted headlights were for a car that was not sold in Australia with ADR compliance.  Bring that car into the country with those OEM HIDs and if they do not meet the ADR requirements, then they are simply not legal.  To be compliant here they must have the levellers and washers (unless they meet the <2000 lumen rule, which I guess is to cover other types of driving lights rather than "headlights".)

it doesn't matter if Nissan are prepared to sell headlamp assemblies through their Oz stealerships.  What matters is what you then do with them.  Fit them to a road-going car and the problem is yours, not Nissan's.

It's actually pretty simple.  There is no loophole for you, or any other person in the same boat.  Are there non-HID assemblies available for these boats?

• Like 1

Taking the wagon to the police station to clear the defect tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can explain to the officer the complications of attempting to change to non-HID headlights...

10 minutes ago, Caleb_M35 said:

Taking the wagon to the police station to clear the defect tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can explain to the officer the complications of attempting to change to non-HID headlights...

Haha. Good luck with that !

43 minutes ago, Caleb_M35 said:

32 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

Haha. Good luck with that !

Exactly. That's the last thing you should do?