SAU Community

Factory HID Legality

Caleb_M35

17 hours ago, Caleb_M35 said:

Cleared it ?

Can I have your rego number? cheers :P

But seriously, there should be some sort of workaround for this, if you set up your headlights properly. I think a state or two in USA have workarounds so you can retrofit (as in take headlights apart and put in HID projectors) your crappy halogens for an actual working setup. Anyone with R32 projector headlights will know how shit they are, regardless of what bulb you put in there. OE HID (even if it doesn't have self levelling and washers) should be able to be "engineered". At the moment it's adaptor plate + H1 bulb (which will make the headlights crap), might as well take out your front brake pads.

On 11/27/2018 at 4:58 PM, GTSBoy said:

Money have to change hands?

Thankfully not 

10 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Can I have your rego number? cheers :P

But seriously, there should be some sort of workaround for this, if you set up your headlights properly. I think a state or two in USA have workarounds so you can retrofit (as in take headlights apart and put in HID projectors) your crappy halogens for an actual working setup. Anyone with R32 projector headlights will know how shit they are, regardless of what bulb you put in there. OE HID (even if it doesn't have self levelling and washers) should be able to be "engineered". At the moment it's adaptor plate + H1 bulb (which will make the headlights crap), might as well take out your front brake pads.

If the OEM HID headlamp setup is legal and safe in other countries it should be legal globally IMO. Who are we to question the revenue raisers known as Road Policing Command/ADR though...

On 11/29/2018 at 8:31 AM, niZmO_Man said:

Well it's only legal in Japan, strangely enough they use salt on roads and don't require headlight washers.

As well as Russia, Canada and other countries I've seen photos of M35 Stageas from.  Oh well..

On 11/30/2018 at 6:20 PM, Caleb_M35 said:

As well as Russia, Canada and other countries I've seen photos of M35 Stageas from.  Oh well..

photos of doesn't necessarily mean they're legal or compliant in those countries...

What I find ironic however, is these are illegal from a safety perspective (i.e. blinding if not correctly leveled), however SUV's which naturally sit higher than the rest of us are perfectly fine yet are equally as blinding...

On 12/2/2018 at 10:33 PM, GTofuS-T said:

photos of doesn't necessarily mean they're legal or compliant in those countries...

What I find ironic however, is these are illegal from a safety perspective (i.e. blinding if not correctly leveled), however SUV's which naturally sit higher than the rest of us are perfectly fine yet are equally as blinding...

Let's not forget the brand new SUV's self-levelling units that end up looking like a strobe light on the front of the car on QLD roads...

• 4 months later...

Related to this topic. My M35 high beam is crap. Low beam is HID and OK, though compared to my Subaru Levorg, the low beam is pitiful. Looking to fit LED high beam to the M35. Anyone have any success here? Brands and sources?