SAU Community

444cc GTR injectors in RB20 with Nistune, Question

So I want to use 444cc gtr injectors in my rb20det, the ecu has Nistune, and I'm wondering if I can get away with not using the Injector Resistor Ballast that the GTR uses if I get a proper tune on the car?

I've seen this thread:

And people say that if you get a tune you don't need the resistor, looking for a surefire answer.

Any knowledge would be appreciated so much, as 555cc injectors are cutting into my budget, and I'm quickly running out of money :(

The RB20 ECU NEEDS the resistor pack.  It is meant to drive high impedance injectors.  The 26 ECU is also meant to drive high impedance injectors.  It's more or less the same ECU.  But in order to use the low impedance injectors Nissan had to put the resistor pack on.  Why anyone would suggest that you can do without it is beyond me.  What a way to run FAR too much current through the switching transistors in the ECU.

4 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

And don't waste your time with 26 injectors. If you're going to the trouble of changing injectors, at least put in some new Bosch 1000s. It's not 2008 any more.

It may not be 2008, but maybe I'm on a budget and can't exactly afford 1000cc injectors and my engine doesn't have any injectors in it

I don't buy the "I'm on a budget" bit.  If you can't afford $600 for injectors, it's probably better to save for a bit until you have the money.  Doing mods when you don't have the funds to deal with the inevitable meltdown is a risky business.

2nd hand injectors are always risky anyway.  By the time you pay someone what they think they are worth, then get them cleaned and tested, you're 75% of the way to new ones anyway.

Just my 2c worth.

2 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Buy new injectors, the 440cc path will end in heartache. 

How so? Whats the problem with using the 444cc injectors if I can get a set for 300, instead of paying 1000 for Nismo 555cc? It works out for my build for the short term I need them,where's the problem? Are you speaking from experience?

11 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Why would you buy Nismo 555s for a grand when you can buy 6x brand new Bosch EV14 based injectors for ~$600 that are superior in EVERY WAY to both the shitty old GTR injectors and the Nismos?

Why buy Bosch's when I don't need anything about 555cc, I'm doing it ins budget, looking for a decently easy solution. And how are they superior exactly, find me a direct comparison and maybe I'll consider your 'advice'

And the GTR injectors may be "shitty old GTR Injectors" but not if they've been rebuilt and reconditioned.

The Nismos are old old tech.  Modern generation injectors have vastly superior spray patterns and ability to run on really low pulse widths.  If you put some effort into looking, you will find many many posts on here going on about how much better an engine will run with decent injectors.

You will find that the engine will run better with EV14 1000s than it will on the very best set of GTR/Nismos, even if they are roughly twice the capacity you need.  And it cannot get more easy than buying a set that come with the required spacers and loom converters.  Takes an extra 30s per injector to install them.

And the chances of finding a set of shitty old OEM or Nismos that have actually been anything more than given a whizz around in an ultrasonic cleaner are so close to zero that it's not funny.  By now, the originals are 20-30 years old!  If they are out of an engine, then chances are that they have been through the hands of half a dozen flat brimmers with no f**king idea, dropped, run full of tank bottoms, etc etc.  Why take that risk?  It just seems the height of foolishness.  I simply cannot imagine stripping all that part of the engine apart to put in dodgy old shit when you will only have to take it all apart again to fix whatever problem you install.

• Like 1