SAU Community

TRD Camry and Avalon: are they getting the TRD badge too easily?

PranK

https://www.caradvice.com.au/704965/toyota-camry-avalon-trd/

I think they look ok. Not brilliant but ok. I was expecting to read an article about body kits and rims being the only upgrades but it seems they might actually be ok. Better suspension, better brakes and 19s. No extra power though but I think 224kw is pretty good.

But. They are still FWD. And they are still just bolt ons.

Should they be badged TRD? Maybe Toyota needs to bring back the Sportivo badges? [emoji1]

3 hours ago, PranK said:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/704965/toyota-camry-avalon-trd/

I think they look ok. Not brilliant but ok. I was expecting to read an article about body kits and rims being the only upgrades but it seems they might actually be ok. Better suspension, better brakes and 19s. No extra power though but I think 224kw is pretty good.

But. They are still FWD. And they are still just bolt ons.

Should they be badged TRD? Maybe Toyota needs to bring back the Sportivo badges? emoji1.png

Heck, boy racers/ricers will buy TRD badges to put on their hand-me-down Camrys and Corollas anyways so what difference does it make? LOL

9 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

In a market where Toyota sell primarily taxis to taxi drivers/owners and 50+ year old Asians (so long as the car is silver)......does it really matter?

You forgot the Indians. They're getting richer now and can afford the higher trim levels.

• Like 1

Haha yeah, for those of you playing outside of Australia, people with Indian subcontinent heritage isn't grouped with Asians like in the UK but have their own grouping (curry/curries or just Indians haha).

Back on topic, Nismo, M, AMG are trim levels now so I don't see why TRD can't be one either. Shame the predator face design jumped from Lexus to Camrys.

But yeah, upgraded suspension, lighter wheels, bigger brakes. Those are decent upgrades. Camry comes with 300hp engine now, what a time to be alive.

I read good things about the original TRD Avalons, and I thought they looked pretty good too. These ones... i'm not a fan. This type of tuning seems to be the new entry level norm. I'm thinking C43 AMG etc. 

Also I think we are entering another phase of overdone styling. The amount of plastic manufacturers are putting on their cars is starting to bug me. I think 18 year old me would have liked these, 30 year old me says no.

And I'm still angry they slapped an RZ badge on a Camry. ?

10 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Race Spec Camrys (Camries?), of course they need the TRD badge !

c3.jpg.9f91cb353b8f8881a987fde5fbba2c8b.jpg

The scrape matches the vent! Good attention to detail. 

1 minute ago, Steve85 said:

I read good things about the original TRD Avalons, and I thought they looked pretty good too. These ones... i'm not a fan. This type of tuning seems to be the new entry level norm. I'm thinking C43 AMG etc. 

Also I think we are entering another phase of overdone styling. The amount of plastic manufacturers are putting on their cars is starting to bug me. I think 18 year old me would have liked these, 30 year old me says no.

And I'm still angry they slapped an RZ badge on a Camry. ?

Yeah, I hear this. Bodywork on lots of new cars just looks heavy and cumbersome.

23 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

I'm not going down that path haha.

Yeah the RZ badge, was an interesting one... maybe the new Supra will have an RZ trim too?

I heard the new Supra is going to be called a TRD Camry! No...but seriously, TRD badges on eBay are outselling the fake cheap GTR ones. Lol

• Like 1