SAU Community

TRD Camry and Avalon: are they getting the TRD badge too easily?

PranK

On 11/21/2018 at 11:35 AM, Steve85 said:

I read good things about the original TRD Avalons, and I thought they looked pretty good too. These ones... i'm not a fan. This type of tuning seems to be the new entry level norm. I'm thinking C43 AMG etc. 

Also I think we are entering another phase of overdone styling. The amount of plastic manufacturers are putting on their cars is starting to bug me. I think 18 year old me would have liked these, 30 year old me says no.

And I'm still angry they slapped an RZ badge on a Camry. ?

35 year old me hates both! ?

1 minute ago, Steve85 said:

What is your money no object car? I can't pick you... emoji23.png

My money is...it’s a freaken Camry. Mums and grannies drove them and they last forever so stop trying to make them race spec cars! 

That’s what I meant. The Camry never was and never will turn into a race car. My uncle has a Camry Sportivo that he thinks is a special race version Camry! 

On 11/22/2018 at 10:14 AM, PranK said:
On 11/22/2018 at 10:14 AM, niZmO_Man said:
Hey there are a couple of different part numbers between the two emoji14.png

Wheels and decals.

Like my 86, or is it a BRZ, there's more Subi named bits than the couple of Toyota ones.

On topic

I would rather the Totota to any Holden or Ford if I was looking for a family sedan.

They are roomy, comfy and reliable, not bad on fuel either, and after sales service is brilliant compared to most manufacturers.

What other 4 door family hacks are people comparing it to?

As for the TRD badge, who cares, alot of manufacturers are doing it, Subaru throw on STI badges on non wrx cars for some rims and some...badges, BMW do the same with M, hell, even Mercedes are throwing on AMG badges on their big arse 4wd's.

NISMO > https://www.caranddriver.com/nissan/sentra-nismo

18tdigb-helios310c.jpg.ximg.s_12_h.smart.jpg

Car sales have been slumping hard since the mid 2000's...a lot of auto makers such as Nissan and Mitsubishi just to name a few have come close to bankruptcy in recent times so it's no wonder they are desperate to do whatever it takes to sell more cars...if slapping their Tuning House's badge on a car with some minor mods does it!

Toyota/Lexus design language has been getting progressively more stupid.  Same with Honda (Civic in particular).  Massive wafflebox black plastic that looks like air flow path but is actually closed.  Ugly Predator mouths on the front and rear.  I scraped a hire Camry's front bumper on the lower left side because it is at least 150mm wider down there than it needs to be.  But having made that complaint, the rest of the car's design isn't vile.  The shapes involved in the bonnet, wheel openings, the style lines (such as they are) down the sides, are a whole lot less immature and stupid than most Korean an Euro-trash models at the moment.  And when I say "less immature and stupid" - that Camry actually looks good in all those areas.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Toyota/Lexus design language has been getting progressively more stupid.  Same with Honda (Civic in particular).  Massive wafflebox black plastic that looks like air flow path but is actually closed.  Ugly Predator mouths on the front and rear.  I scraped a hire Camry's front bumper on the lower left side because it is at least 150mm wider down there than it needs to be.  But having made that complaint, the rest of the car's design isn't vile.  The shapes involved in the bonnet, wheel openings, the style lines (such as they are) down the sides, are a whole lot less immature and stupid than most Korean an Euro-trash models at the moment.  And when I say "less immature and stupid" - that Camry actually looks good in all those areas.

We agree for once but I support your view.

Styling in the Hondas, Toyotas and KIAs have in recent times become too "space-shippy" and round for my taste. Like the most recent Honda Civic Type-R, like what the fark? At least this Camry "looks OK" and hasn't gone off the rails too much. Performance wise, as the guys from TRD said themselves in the video - "it's really racey" without mentioning the specs. Fark, my Kluger is "racey" too my wife picking up the kids from school too...