SAU Community

The Stock R33 GTR

10 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

If you’re not going to turn the boost up the ceramic wheels won’t break 

Excellent, excellent. One less thing for the stock, one more thing for the LM. ?

10 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

@Steve85 might pick up some better transient response as well as some extra low end too :) 

Yeah, i am told (mostly by the internet) that technology has come a looong way.  :)

I'd do the turbines because while turning them up drastically increases the risk of death, many stock ceramics have grenaded, and on the 26 that can take the engine with it. If it were a 25 I'd just leave it as the risk of engine death is much lower.  But on a zero km 26 in a car of that condition, the effort would be worth the insurance.

• Like 1

That's the point.  It's a completely random crap-shoot.  The life expectancy of ceramic turbines lies on a probability curve that it approximately Gaussian, although it probably biased like a Poisson distribution (having a maximum point beyond which no turbine will survive).  But the shape of such distributions has turbine death all the way down to "never even actually run".  Running at stock boost is well within the range of death possibility.

Thanks all. Totally keeping it stock will start asking questions of some mechanics and see their opinions too. As mentioned it would only be an insurance/assuarance. Not looking for power just don't want them hand grenading!

55 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

Thanks all. Totally keeping it stock will start asking questions of some mechanics and see their opinions too. As mentioned it would only be an insurance/assuarance. Not looking for power just don't want them hand grenading!

If you want to increase the value even a bit more, get an engineers certificate which will set you back $1k-$2k but will make it so much more attractive to own and proves it’s stock as a rock!

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Robocop2310 said:

If you want to increase the value even a bit more, get an engineers certificate which will set you back $1k-$2k but will make it so much more attractive to own and proves it’s stock as a rock!

Say whaaaaat

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robocop2310 said:

Well, wouldn’t an engineers certificate impress you more if you were after a stock GTR and forking out $70k-$100k?

There is no such thing as an engineer's cert for a non-modified car.  That car doesn't need it.  I think you misunderstand what the cert is for.  The cert is to say that "this mod and that mod and that mod, and only those mods, were made on this car and they are all kosher".

• Like 1

Hi there Steve, yes I remember this R33 GT-R on CarSales. The seller wanted $75K for it as I recall and the car was an Australian delivery. I seriously looked at it, but found another Series 3 GT-R in Adelaide which wasn't as good but half the price. I'm currently having some subtle mods done at CRD but leaving my GT-R low key. Well done on your purchase I'm sure your wife will enjoy her car for many years to come. I certainly enjoy mine. 

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Robocop2310 said:

I have got a Croydon Racing Development report that shows exactly this, so I probably wouldn't want to pay for this again. I will be collating and digitalising (is that a thing) the paperwork trail so it's a lot easier to follow the history of the car. Of course, part of that is telling the story of how i came to have the car (hence this post). :)

14 hours ago, admS15 said:

Nice pick up Steve. I dare say this is 1 of the very very few gtr's with such low km's. Full stock is the way to keep this thing, with such low k's, id be inclined to keep the standard turbos too. My 2c.

Thanks. I figure with the LM being so heavily modified, there's no need for this one to go down that path. If it turns out my wife wants more power, we can just swap for the time being. 

6 hours ago, Paul V said:

Hi there Steve, yes I remember this R33 GT-R on CarSales. The seller wanted $75K for it as I recall and the car was an Australian delivery. I seriously looked at it, but found another Series 3 GT-R in Adelaide which wasn't as good but half the price. I'm currently having some subtle mods done at CRD but leaving my GT-R low key. Well done on your purchase I'm sure your wife will enjoy her car for many years to come. I certainly enjoy mine. 

Cheers Paul

Yeah it was serious money (a full 70k) but worth it in my opinion (and as  the buyer isn't that all that counts?) it has just a few blemishes, but nothing that can't be repaired. The biggest issue appears to be the rear wing. I believe it had a car cover on it and the top corners on both sides have had the paint stripped away. Luckily the car is silver so you can't really notice it, but it will need repairs in the future. 

A Series 3 that was half the price of this one sounds like a bargain. Well done! :)