SAU Community

Is the modding scene slowing?

12 hours ago, Robocop2310 said:

After reading everyone's valid comments, I think the general consensus is that many people cannot be bothered to modified their cars due to the time and cost coupled with attracting too much unwanted attention instead opting to simply buy a stock decently fast car to begin with. 

I agree totally. I think as I'm getting old (mid 30's), I just don't see myself hooning around in a loud and heavily modified car to attract all the attention and every man and his dog wanting to drag me at the lights. I am thinking of selling my R34 GTR and getting something I've always wanted like an Audi R8 and call it a day for now. 

In conclusion, I think the car-modding scene certainly has slowed down. Although it's not totally dead, I think it is in fact dying a slow death just like how we just to put subwoofers in our cars with tricked out audio systems and DVD screens. Gone are the days of RICE(ish) modifications and in your face modifications. 

Mighty Car Mods are still keeping the scene alive ?

They’re releasing their videos with much less frequencies.

That's because their scope increases with each project and juggling multiple projects.

But yeah, MCM is a good indicator that modding cars is popular, many of the fans don't necessarily have the money/space/tools to do it though

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Leroy Peterson said:

That's because their scope increases with each project and juggling multiple projects.

But yeah, MCM is a good indicator that modding cars is popular, many of the fans don't necessarily have the money/space/tools to do it though

Agree. MCM have really focused on the production factor. They're not just "vloggers". They produce, direct, write the music etc. Projects range from full blown drag cars to sex spec and everything in between

Edited by djvoodoo
typo

Remember when modding cars meant big spinner wheels, candy paint work and white/tan interiors? The "scene" is always evolving, people do what they think is cool (for instabook likes instead of magazine features) and it will evolve. People modify hybrid cars, commuter cars, vans etc. Flares and air suspension is just another fad.

Do what you want with your car and enjoy it, it'll die off eventually.

I'm seeing more modified 4x4's, nearly every turbo diesel ute/wagon that the young guys at work have TBE exhaust, intercooler/intake and suspension upgrades. 

It's funny listen to them spool up just driving around.

The scene is definitely changing. People are spending sooo much more money on their cars these days. 1000hp with a sequential is becoming the norm.

Crystal vaults and a jetspeed kit were expensive mods once upon a time too.

Manufacturers have been making good/fast/sporty cars for a long time and some are getting real cheap.

Ie. Early c63s. Not everyone's cup of tea but for under 50k you're getting a lot of car for your money. Late-ish hsvs are great value for money as well.

We are spending more and more on cars though. You go to summernats and powercruise or whatever and fully painted bays, custom fab or the whole hypertune catalogue, expensive jap wheels (cos we don't do fakes anymore) are very common.

YouTube the early ff&r serious performance videos. Cars were basic af and the fast cars made between 2-300hp. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WantGTR said:

The scene is definitely changing. People are spending sooo much more money on their cars these days. 1000hp with a sequential is becoming the norm.

Crystal vaults and a jetspeed kit were expensive mods once upon a time too.

Manufacturers have been making good/fast/sporty cars for a long time and some are getting real cheap.

Ie. Early c63s. Not everyone's cup of tea but for under 50k you're getting a lot of car for your money. Late-ish hsvs are great value for money as well.

We are spending more and more on cars though. You go to summernats and powercruise or whatever and fully painted bays, custom fab or the whole hypertune catalogue, expensive jap wheels (cos we don't do fakes anymore) are very common.

YouTube the early ff&r serious performance videos. Cars were basic af and the fast cars made between 2-300hp. 

All fair points, but if you could buy a stock car that looks and performs extraordinarily great versus buying a car less impressive and “modifying it up” which would you choose?

Then there’s the view of would you prefer by choice to keep a car stock if you drive it once in a while to the shops and don’t race or track the car requiring huge power?

I think it’s quite evident that most normal people don’t modify their cars anymore and this craft is left more to true enthusiasts?

45 minutes ago, Robocop2310 said:

All fair points, but if you could buy a stock car that looks and performs extraordinarily great versus buying a car less impressive and “modifying it up” which would you choose?

Then there’s the view of would you prefer by choice to keep a car stock if you drive it once in a while to the shops and don’t race or track the car requiring huge power?

I think it’s quite evident that most normal people don’t modify their cars anymore and this craft is left more to true enthusiasts?

Well that's my point. Second hand performance cars which used to cost 150+ when new can now be bought for good prices. E90 m3s for 40k, e60 m5 (v10) for 50 odd. You don't need to modify them but if you don't want to.

That and after spending 50k on a car, spending an extra 10 or 20 or whatever might be a bit of a stretch so in some cases better to just look after it and enjoy as is.

But all in all I think people are spending more on cars than ever. There isn't autosalon anymore to show your off your hectic paint but if your have attended a roll racing event recently, there are some serious street cars getting around. Things have just shifted from looking fast to actually going fast.

As someone said before. It's all about getting likes and efame. No one cars about your build thread lol

1 minute ago, WantGTR said:

Well that's my point. Second hand performance cars which used to cost 150+ when new can now be bought for good prices. E90 m3s for 40k, e60 m5 (v10) for 50 odd. You don't need to modify them but if you don't want to.

That and after spending 50k on a car, spending an extra 10 or 20 or whatever might be a bit of a stretch so in some cases better to just look after it and enjoy as is.

But all in all I think people are spending more on cars than ever. There isn't autosalon anymore to show your off your hectic paint but if your have attended a roll racing event recently, there are some serious street cars getting around. Things have just shifted from looking fast to actually going fast.

As someone said before. It's all about getting likes and efame. No one cars about your build thread lol

Fair enough mate. 

By the way, what ever happened to Auto Salon? I haven't gone to one for years and now it seems to have died off?

Just now, Robocop2310 said:

Fair enough mate. 

By the way, what ever happened to Auto Salon? I haven't gone to one for years and now it seems to have died off?

I think the biggest event on the calendar now is coota. Everyone wants to run a number.

Besides vaping stance fags. 

Just now, WantGTR said:

I think the biggest event on the calendar now is coota. Everyone wants to run a number.

Besides vaping stance fags. 

I see...I hate stance fags too! Most of them have YouTube videos that start with....Yo yo...what's up guys it's your boy....like STFU!

Like this fag! 

6 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

This is peak car modding:

This may have been a multi-trophy winning car back in the day, it's a 180HP piece of crap today...this is what I meant with the topic...it modding scene has definitely died down heaps...when referring to modding I'm covering all aspects including cosmetics not just performance.

4 minutes ago, Robocop2310 said:

This may have been a multi-trophy winning car back in the day, it's a 180HP piece of crap today...this is what I meant with the topic...it modding scene has definitely died down heaps...when referring to modding I'm covering all aspects including cosmetics not just performance.

Well, I suppose even the cosmetic modding scene goes through stages.

There was chrome, then neons, then the black bonnet fad, then shadowchrome/matt black, then stance and now I guess big F-Off wings are back in vogue?

• Like 1

I'm not saying we're at the peak. But these days that car would be some kind of crazy all wheel drive evo/gsr swapped awesomeness.

Sure it wouldn't look like that, it would probs just have a nice white pearl or some other basic colour, but the actual hardware underneath "show" and modified cars is an awful lot better in terms of quality and longevity.

Take a look at the following article and look at the numbers... 300hp, 400hp wow 700hp...

http://fullboost.com.au/story.php?secId=301&storyId=188&page=1&start=1&end=30&year=2003&go=1

My opinion is people spend their money on whats under the bonnet, not so much on the bs paintwork and veilside/cyborg spec bodykits and earth shattering stereos.

There's an awful lot of high horsepower cars rolling around our cities in Aus. It's just that we've learnt not to advertise them so blatantly on the road.
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

My opinion is people spend their money on whats under the bonnet, not so much on the bs paintwork and veilside/cyborg spec bodykits and earth shattering stereos.

that's it :)

Another reason I'm respraying it back to an OEM colour (previous owner of the car was a true bogan and sprayed it Auto Salon homo purple)

• Like 2