SAU Community

V36 AT Gearbox (07 Sedan)

Hey guys, can anyone shed some light to the process of replacing a 5 A/T gearbox on the earlier V36 sedans? Is it a straight swap if its the whole gearbox or will I run into issues with TCM pairing with the ECU? Or say if I just put in a new valve body, TCM pairing issues with valve body?

Hey mate.

Ive been looking at this for a while. Not much information is said about it unfortunately, If you use Facebook try join the VQ|NATION Page. Post what you need and im sure they'll have an answer. 

I assume if you are replacing the transmission, you wouldn't replace the TCU as well?  unless there is a problem with the TCU also?

I know some of the CVTs have have unique figures burnt into a ROM in the transmission itself which the TCU reads to 'customise' itself to suit, when replacing a CVT, you need to tell the TCU to 'relearn' the figures in the new transmission.

As far as I know, that doesn't apply to conventional autos.

20 hours ago, sonicii said:

I assume if you are replacing the transmission, you wouldn't replace the TCU as well?  unless there is a problem with the TCU also?

I know some of the CVTs have have unique figures burnt into a ROM in the transmission itself which the TCU reads to 'customise' itself to suit, when replacing a CVT, you need to tell the TCU to 'relearn' the figures in the new transmission.

As far as I know, that doesn't apply to conventional autos.

The 07's and up has the TCU in the gearbox itself. So I assume I could just replace the TCU in the new box with my old TCU? So either a new/used box or VB, just use the existing TCU? 

sorry, not sure.  I wasn't aware the TCU was built into the transmission, if the ECU has hassles with it, then I would be tempted to swap the TCU if it isn't too difficult, otherwise, if it is common to swap TCUs with a transmission change, then hopefully there will be a painless method to pair with the new ECU, or maybe the ECU won't care what TCU it talks to?  either way, I guess it will need further research.