SAU Community

1996 R33 GT-R V-Spec - Built by Prostock Motorsports Japan

1 hour ago, Piggaz said:

, it’s on E85.

Aha, got it. I though that might be the case, but it said 98ron on dyno sheet for fuel. So, what was it on 98 ? At least I know what to expect if I ever decide to run E85 on my 33.

From what I've gathered talking to some Sydney tuners for a flex tune you fully tune on 98, and then tune a E10, E20 increments ect. all the way to E85. Is this the way it was tuned ? Just starting to look at E85 as it has to be trucked up in drums here as the closest pump E85 is 1500km away.

Im coming to Sydney next week to talk to a few workshops / tuners regarding this. My 32 will be going flex with the 6466 on its 2.8 tune so I'll be getting the ground work happening now. Might see some of you guys cars around.

On 7/23/2019 at 6:20 PM, BK said:

Aha, got it. I though that might be the case, but it said 98ron on dyno sheet for fuel. So, what was it on 98 ? At least I know what to expect if I ever decide to run E85 on my 33.

From what I've gathered talking to some Sydney tuners for a flex tune you fully tune on 98, and then tune a E10, E20 increments ect. all the way to E85. Is this the way it was tuned ? Just starting to look at E85 as it has to be trucked up in drums here as the closest pump E85 is 1500km away.

Im coming to Sydney next week to talk to a few workshops / tuners regarding this. My 32 will be going flex with the 6466 on its 2.8 tune so I'll be getting the ground work happening now. Might see some of you guys cars around.

I'm running flex, tune was done on 98 ron, drained then on E85 (was actually about E80). As i'm running AFM's with a Nistune the ECU just compensates based on the Flex sensors Ethanol content so no need for multiple tunes, just the 2...

3 hours ago, mr_rbman said:

I'm running flex, tune was done on 98 ron, drained then on E85 (was actually about E80). As i'm running AFM's with a Nistune the ECU just compensates based on the Flex sensors Ethanol content so no need for multiple tunes, just the 2...

so your fuel and ignition timing was set on 98 and then your fuel and timing was set on e85, and then your saying your relying on the flex sensor for fuel / timing difference changes for anywhere in between the two. How is the fuel and timing calculated / compensated for ? Surely by doing just the 2 tunes would just linearize the difference. From what I've been told the fuel / timing settings on say E40 should not be half way between the 98 and E85 settings, which I assume it would be with your tune. The difference between blends of the two tunes is apparently not linear for air fuel ratios or timing advance. More than one Sydney workshop mentioned this, first one I can remember was JEM. Who did your tune rb man ?

On 11/07/2012 at 12:00 PM, Piggaz said:

Place the power FC in the bin and buy a ECU that can accept an Ethanol Content Sensor. Most if not all decent ECU's will do it.

ECU alone, it cost roughly $700 for the hardware (lines, sensor, display, fittings). You then have the dyno time (which is where the money is). My own car, I think we had 7 different maps which and it adjusted to suit. No laptops, no plugging this in and checking that, just fill and go!

We started off with a E85 map and kept adding petrol. Every 15% of ethanol we would save a map.

Seems like the correct way to do it to me, he just started at E85 and went down to 98 ron in increments instead of starting on 98 like I mentioned. Actually that sounds like a better way to do it.

Yep, content sensor here as well when I had the car, tuned on full E85/90 then backed off in increments as we added 98. Never wanted to think about it, that said it only ever ran ethanol while I had it and I was testing it at the bowser, never saw anything below E80 from United and as you basically run out of big gains after about, what is it E70/85 or so? You can really just tune it around there as your "max" if you are really worried. 

22 hours ago, BK said:

so your fuel and ignition timing was set on 98 and then your fuel and timing was set on e85, and then your saying your relying on the flex sensor for fuel / timing difference changes for anywhere in between the two. How is the fuel and timing calculated / compensated for ? Surely by doing just the 2 tunes would just linearize the difference. From what I've been told the fuel / timing settings on say E40 should not be half way between the 98 and E85 settings, which I assume it would be with your tune. The difference between blends of the two tunes is apparently not linear for air fuel ratios or timing advance. More than one Sydney workshop mentioned this, first one I can remember was JEM. Who did your tune rb man ?

You're able to bend the blend, so it's not linearised.

Two maps are perfectly fine, then you slowly decrease the ethanol concentration and adjust the blend amount between the two maps as you slowly drop back into 98RON. 

Generally the blend table looks a bit like an exponential decay or growth (depending on the direction of your blend).

Sure, tuning with 10 maps is great, but totally overkill and not worth the man hours. 

8 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You're able to bend the blend, so it's not linearised.

Two maps are perfectly fine, then you slowly decrease the ethanol concentration and adjust the blend amount between the two maps as you slowly drop back into 98RON. 

Generally the blend table looks a bit like an exponential decay or growth (depending on the direction of your blend).

Sure, tuning with 10 maps is great, but totally overkill and not worth the man hours. 

What the dose said ^^^^ Far better explained than what I could've ?