SAU Community

R34 GT-Four questions...

Hello,

Struggling to find some info on the R34 GT-four RB25DE Neo manual coupe

Planning a build so if someone could shed some light on a few things i would be grateful.

1. Is the Suspension R33 GTR, R34 GTR or GTR fronts / GTT rears etc?

2. The diffs on this car are 4.3 and il be changing the rear to a mechanical kaaz super Q but staying 4.3 ratios. My question is...how different is the 4.3 ratio to 4.1 GTR ratio's in terms of how the power will be put down, how the car will behave once turbo'd? can this 4wd system with these ratio's still take and put down the same serious power the GTR's can or is it worth me converting to 4.1?

The NEO 4wd RB25DET engine il be putting in will have a 4.1 so say, if i have 4.1 up front but stay with the 4.3 ratio on the rear, is it going to affect the altessa system or will it be fine?

3. Is the exhaust layout the same as R32 R33 and R34 GTR the way it runs down the car or is it like the R34 GTT / GTST? I wanted to use the GTR Tomei Ti exhaust setup when iv put the turbo NEO in, but the pipework on the system is a different angle on GTR's as it runs down the car

4. What master cylinder comes on the R34 GT-four? Is it the same as the R34 GTT, R32 33 34 GTR or its own size? Thinking for when i fit huge brakes soon

Thanks in advance

1. Dunno.

2. Gunna drag race it?  If so, keep 4.3.  If for road, then 4.1 is better choice.  Almost no difference between, but slightly longer legs on the 4.1 is a better drive.  And WRT keeping 4.3 at rear and 4.1 at front.  No.  Hell no.  Must have same ratio F & R.  Otherwise kerblooey will happen.  You have been warned.

3. GTR exhausts are the way they are because they're fed from a different front pipe design.  And single turbo exhaust should suit.

4. Dunno.  Why don't you look at it.  It will have the BM number on the side of it.

If you are going to have huge power definitely 4.1 front and rear (and no, they cannot be different). In fact for a road car I would have liked the R34 GTR 3.54 to 1 ratio but if you are tracking it I guess the 4.1 will do it.

The titanium exhaust is super expensive and you may not like the noise it makes - just get a custom steel one made up.

I used the GTR BM57 M/C although something slightly smaller would probably be fine.

4 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

1. Dunno.

2. Gunna drag race it?  If so, keep 4.3.  If for road, then 4.1 is better choice.  Almost no difference between, but slightly longer legs on the 4.1 is a better drive.  And WRT keeping 4.3 at rear and 4.1 at front.  No.  Hell no.  Must have same ratio F & R.  Otherwise kerblooey will happen.  You have been warned.

3. GTR exhausts are the way they are because they're fed from a different front pipe design.  And single turbo exhaust should suit.

4. Dunno.  Why don't you look at it.  It will have the BM number on the side of it.

The car doesn’t arrive yet so I can’t check

trying to find out in advance 

3 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

If you are going to have huge power definitely 4.1 front and rear (and no, they cannot be different). In fact for a road car I would have liked the R34 GTR 3.54 to 1 ratio but if you are tracking it I guess the 4.1 will do it.

The titanium exhaust is super expensive and you may not like the noise it makes - just get a custom steel one made up.

I used the GTR BM57 M/C although something slightly smaller would probably be fine.

I’m going for around 550bhp but I never track my car 

How different would 4.3 behave to 4.1?

Yeah probably will just go with a steel one again, just always loved the Ti exhaust.. heard a few before.

okay thanks, any idea what size comes standard on the R34 GTFour. Is it same as R34 GTT you reckon?

7 hours ago, R34GTRSilver said:

How different would 4.3 behave to 4.1?

With 550hp it will seem too low. Open road cruising will be tiresome at almost 3000 rpm.

But I notice you have yet to take delivery of the car. As everyone else will say - don't do it! If you want 550hp buy a turbo car. If you are on your P plates buy a Corolla and save up for the GTT.

Il just convert the rear to 4.1, as 4.1 will come with the engine I put in anyway 

Iv already got an M5 and a R34 GTT big single manual but I want a 4wd R34

Unfortunately I don’t have £50k to buy an R34 GTR otherwise I wouldn’t be doing this build

Im selling my R34 GTT to partly fund the build with the GT Four which I can build for half the cost of a GTR34 and have the spec I want along with 4wd

Just wanted info on the diffs that’s all as I’m not familiar with the 4.3 non turbo

i haven’t just passed my test or trying to build a fast car with no money, I’m just asking questions from people who know more about skylines than me 

The info on them is shaky at best unfortunately as they really arent that popular a build for reasons I'm not too sure on either.

The AWD 25neo from stagea into a GT-Four is a sure fire winning combo, though I would expect (just hunches) that you will find several things that are NA-spec and not GTR spec. If you must assume, assume NA but definitely the way to go is to examine the thing thoroughly before you decide to tinker with it.

A lot of the things that people say are the same, aren't with R34's, Series 1 vs Series 2 differences in parts that "are the same and have the same part number" see also: NA vs GTT parts. Hope for the best (yay GTR spec things) but plan for them not to be, and DEFINITELY budget for them not to be, to be safe.

But if you get your hands on the car and start looking, you're likely to be the most knowledgeable guy around about them lol

13 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

The info on them is shaky at best unfortunately as they really arent that popular a build for reasons I'm not too sure on either.

The AWD 25neo from stagea into a GT-Four is a sure fire winning combo, though I would expect (just hunches) that you will find several things that are NA-spec and not GTR spec. If you must assume, assume NA but definitely the way to go is to examine the thing thoroughly before you decide to tinker with it.

A lot of the things that people say are the same, aren't with R34's, Series 1 vs Series 2 differences in parts that "are the same and have the same part number" see also: NA vs GTT parts. Hope for the best (yay GTR spec things) but plan for them not to be, and DEFINITELY budget for them not to be, to be safe.

But if you get your hands on the car and start looking, you're likely to be the most knowledgeable guy around about them lol

Yeah definitely. Iv found some info such as them being a push clutch which I’m kind of glad as the push ones are cheaper

One company I know in the U.K. actually have one there dismantling which gave some info but they have told me my suspension could be either R33 / R34 GTR front and rear or GTR fronts and GTST fork fitment rears, Diff is 4.3 but not sure if it’s a viscous lsd, but odds are it won’t be a mechanical but I’m replacing with a Kaaz  super Q anyway, but I think il get a 4.1 case and shafts first so it’s running 4.1 front and rear.

already spotted a 4wd Det NEO so looks like I’ll be going for that ?

Brakes are sorted as I work with brake kits 

Going to fit Meister R coilovers, Hicas lock out etc 

I’m going to document what we find out on this car so it can help for future people who buy one of these 

im redoing nearly everything mechanical, Brakes, handling and Diffs so budget isn’t an issue

Just wondered if 4.3 would of been road friendly or much different to 4.1 as otherwise I could of just swapped my front  diff with the one that comes with my new engine 

I’ll sort it tho ???

Must admit the GT Four is a very interesting car as it’s a bit of a Pandora’s box but it does add to the charm 

Edited by R34GTRSilver

Mate.  4.1.  Do not consider 4.3 unless it is strictly a drag car.

You won't even have a VLSD in it.  They pretty much did not put any LSDs into any NA cars, and especially not AWD NA cars.

You probably won't have HICAS either.  I think they didn't put it on the shopping wagons.

Yay a GT4 question!

4.3 with a gearbox like R33 gtr gives similar ratios to an R34 GTR for 1st to 3rd. Obv only 5 gears total not 6.

I have 4.3 and a Stagea neo turbo in my GT4 and I find it ok. Bit noisy at highway speed though.

Lots of things are poverty spec in GT4 vs the spec in GTT and GTR. Eg

Front hubs are steel (gtr aluminium)

Rear hubs are steel and eye type (gtt and gtr are aluminium and fork)

Gt4 has no hicas

Gt4 has no speed sensitive power steering (this comes along with hicas)

Gt4 has smaller brake master than GTT, which is smaller than GTR. Brakes smaller, obviously.

Gt4 has poverty 3x2 bolt driveshafts, GTT has 5 bolt, GTR has 6 bolt driveshafts and larger stub axles through the hubs

GT4 has no rear swaybar

Pretty sure rear diff is viscous, i think build plate says R200V. I think mine will spin the inside wheel on hard cornering (i have GTR swaybars) which is funny, because it then sends more torque to the front, and it kindof hops around. A real LSD would be ace.

That’s just the stuff I remember.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 11:14 PM, GTSBoy said:

Mate.  4.1.  Do not consider 4.3 unless it is strictly a drag car.

You won't even have a VLSD in it.  They pretty much did not put any LSDs into any NA cars, and especially not AWD NA cars.

You probably won't have HICAS either.  I think they didn't put it on the shopping wagons.

Hello

Yeah im aware itll have no LSD but i was putting one in anyway.

I'm going to put the 4wd NEO turbo engine in and swap over my 4.3 diff and put a super Q 1.5w Kaaz in the rear.. 

Il keep the 4.1 4wd sump that comes with the engine just in case i decide to change it over, and then il just buy a GTR diff and shafts.. which Isn't a problem. 

I don't do motorway driving in the car and i think the 4.3 will be fine for me.

Kind of glad the car has no HICAS as i blocked mine out on my GTT anyway and i prefer it that way, so its one less thing to do and saves a bit of weight.

14 hours ago, dr phil said:

Yay a GT4 question!

4.3 with a gearbox like R33 gtr gives similar ratios to an R34 GTR for 1st to 3rd. Obv only 5 gears total not 6.

I have 4.3 and a Stagea neo turbo in my GT4 and I find it ok. Bit noisy at highway speed though.

Lots of things are poverty spec in GT4 vs the spec in GTT and GTR. Eg

Front hubs are steel (gtr aluminium)

Rear hubs are steel and eye type (gtt and gtr are aluminium and fork)

Gt4 has no hicas

Gt4 has no speed sensitive power steering (this comes along with hicas)

Gt4 has smaller brake master than GTT, which is smaller than GTR. Brakes smaller, obviously.

Gt4 has poverty 3x2 bolt driveshafts, GTT has 5 bolt, GTR has 6 bolt driveshafts and larger stub axles through the hubs

GT4 has no rear swaybar

Pretty sure rear diff is viscous, i think build plate says R200V. I think mine will spin the inside wheel on hard cornering (i have GTR swaybars) which is funny, because it then sends more torque to the front, and it kindof hops around. A real LSD would be ace.

That’s just the stuff I remember.

Hi

Thanks for that information, its very helpful.

The hubs don't really bother me to be honest as long as their 5 stud and can run the wheels i want to use

The coilovers im going to be ordering can be eye or fork, so il just check mine to make sure which are eye and which are fork if i have them.

No hicas is a bonus for me as i deleted my R34 GTT hicas when i put the Mech LSD in and loved the drive.

Didn't know about the speed sensor but what will this make a difference with?

The master cylinder isn't a problem, there's plenty of BM57's over here so il have one put in, while the engines out as il be running big brakes so would like the same setup and feel as a GTR would with bigger brakes.

Did you retrofit GTR sway bars i take it? What else is needed to do this besides the sway bars them selves?

Yeah the stock diff will be awful but im putting in a Mech LSD 1.5w Super Q so that will bring the diff into its own league.

Thanks for the info, was hoping a GT4 would pop up

Cant wait for the car to turn up so i can have a good butchers at whats on it and whats not

Around town driving the 4.3 is fine, will happily cruise at 60kph in 5th. Highway is a little annoying if exhaust is loud. I have a varex muffler on mine, i just shut the valve and its nice and quiet cruising at 100kph.

I have 4.36 im my 33gtst, have hit 243kph at around 6000rpm in 5th on the racetrack, i estimate top speed would be around 260 so still plenty of top end speed.

4 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Around town driving the 4.3 is fine, will happily cruise at 60kph in 5th. Highway is a little annoying if exhaust is loud. I have a varex muffler on mine, i just shut the valve and its nice and quiet cruising at 100kph.

I have 4.36 im my 33gtst, have hit 243kph at around 6000rpm in 5th on the racetrack, i estimate top speed would be around 260 so still plenty of top end speed.

Hi thanks for the input. Yeah i think 4.3 will be fine aswell. A coupe of guys over here in the UK said 4.3 is very nice unless you do commuting, but a road racing car or pleasure drive its a beast, so i thought might aswell try.

Yeah i would imagine a loud exhaust would probably be annoying on a long run

Can always change to 4.1 if i was that bothered but doubt i will be. I have the M5 with comfort massage seats for cruising long journeys.

God that's quick for that rpm.. what is 1st - 4th like in acceleration and driveability around town street driving? 

1 hour ago, R34GTRSilver said:

Didn't know about the speed sensor but what will this make a difference with?

He said that, with no HICAS, you do not have speed sensitive steering.  The HICAS CU is the box that provides the PWM modulated signal to the power steering rack solenoid to give you that variable assistance.  S, what you have is fixed assistance.

16 hours ago, dr phil said:

Oh also - yes the exhaust layout is identical to GTR. Has the big hump in the passenger floor.

Is the exhaust R33 or R34 GTR?

Think its possible to fit the Tomei Ti but just mod the end where it connects to the custom downpipe?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

He said that, with no HICAS, you do not have speed sensitive steering.  The HICAS CU is the box that provides the PWM modulated signal to the power steering rack solenoid to give you that variable assistance.  S, what you have is fixed assistance.

Okay thanks

1st to 3rd is quite snappy. With 420whp, traction is a bit of an issue. If you can get it to grip, it goes like a rocket. 4th, the speed just keeps piling on.

You won't notice too much of a difference vs 4.11 other than a little quicker through the gears and a couple hundred higher rpm at cruising speed in 5th.