SAU Community

upkeep costs

motoring

I'm in the market for an RS260 and hoping you guys could shed some light on general upkeep costs just to make sure I haven't made some crazy underestimation.  No track work or anything for me, just driving around normally.  Wasn't expecting major issues but sounds like everybody on here is blowing their engines, are you guys doing this on purpose?

I'm in the market for an RS260 and hoping you guys could shed some light on general upkeep costs just to make sure I haven't made some crazy underestimation.  No track work or anything for me, just driving around normally.  Wasn't expecting major issues but sounds like everybody on here is blowing their engines, are you guys doing this on purpose?
Not everyone blows up their engines...

If you keep them stock ish and don't drive like a lunatic, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Fluids, minor repairs/issues, tires etc aren't all that expensive.
It's when you turn them up or abusing them, that's when things can get expensive.

What are you budgeting for exactly?

14 hours ago, Steve85 said:

Not everyone blows up their engines...

If you keep them stock ish and don't drive like a lunatic, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Fluids, minor repairs/issues, tires etc aren't all that expensive.
It's when you turn them up or abusing them, that's when things can get expensive.

What are you budgeting for exactly?

Well just on the lookout for if I would expect many major issues running as stock.  It's for a weekender sort of thing but I need to keep it running, can put aside a bit of money for this on top of 'normal' maintenance but I also don't want it constantly holding me hostage.  I'd always thought these were reasonably reliable if cared for, but they are getting pretty old now.

8 minutes ago, motoring said:

Well just on the lookout for if I would expect many major issues running as stock.  It's for a weekender sort of thing but I need to keep it running, can put aside a bit of money for this on top of 'normal' maintenance but I also don't want it constantly holding me hostage.  I'd always thought these were reasonably reliable if cared for, but they are getting pretty old now.

If your keeping it stock, i think you'll be ok. 
It's going to be dependent on the quality of the car you buy, and how you treat it, but realistically a good example won't need any crazy repairs. (Very dependent).

Some of the electronics that are in the car can fail (G-Sensor for example), but a Skyline/GTR workshop should know about some of the more likely culprits should anything go wrong. 

As with all "Enthusiast" vehicles there are things that will cost a little more than your average, but you shouldn't be looking at any serious trouble. Just be prepared for any failure to be slightly complex and for the workshop to potentially charge you a little more in labour than your average corolla to repair things. 

17 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

If your keeping it stock, i think you'll be ok. 
It's going to be dependent on the quality of the car you buy, and how you treat it, but realistically a good example won't need any crazy repairs. (Very dependent).

Some of the electronics that are in the car can fail (G-Sensor for example), but a Skyline/GTR workshop should know about some of the more likely culprits should anything go wrong. 

As with all "Enthusiast" vehicles there are things that will cost a little more than your average, but you shouldn't be looking at any serious trouble. Just be prepared for any failure to be slightly complex and for the workshop to potentially charge you a little more in labour than your average corolla to repair things. 

Yeah nice all sounds relatively standard.  Would only be buying a quality example and can absorb a bit of bad luck, worth a go, will just have to see if I can actually find one.

• Like 1