SAU Community

What is this electronic part? Is it part of an immobilser system?

rayj

Well I have stupidly cut the wires haha... I'll just wire it back in. I was gutting a van I bought today, then I realised I have the exact same thing in my Ceffy hidden away behind the steering wheel. Too eager...

It looks like it has a little speaker in it... So is it definitely a shock sensor?

I think you're right, according to Cyclops it's a glass break sensor, they've got one on their site.

Do you think cutting those wires would have any affect on the alarm/immobiliser on the vehicle?

25 minutes ago, rayj said:

Do you think cutting those wires would have any affect on the alarm/immobiliser on the vehicle?

That depends on how the alarm is designed to handle the sensor being connected or disconnected.  If the alarm has no configuration to say "there is a sensor attached on this particular input" and does not go into fault when there is no sensor present, then it will be fine.  If the alarm has a config to say there is a sensor, and WILL go into fault when it's not connected (which is a security measure that proper designers would think of) then it might not work.

More likely, the alarm is so shoddily designed (with respect to circuit integrity and security) that simply plugging the sensor in is all that it takes to "enable" the input and disconnecting it is all that is required to disable it.  Cutting wires is equivalent to disconnection.  In this case, it won't even notice.