• Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

alex182

How to clean carbon build up on rear bar?

Car has been running rich since previous owner, and had to gap the spark plugs down further to try and iron out a slight misfire.

Possibly compounded by an ancient muffler, car gets a visible carbon build up on the rear bar after a single drive. I do my best to get as much off as possible in every wash but it's slowly built up pretty bad.

Clay bar is marginal at best, but the soot does come off if I (lightly and carefully) scratch it with my nail.

Can anyone recommend anything that might help get it off easily with some elbow grease?

Would like to avoid anything abrasive as I'm pretty precious about my paint.

Thanks in advance :)

48091486_2227591944175968_7881115394449080320_n.thumb.jpg.5dd4a9c5aed18828b9a3dd02a905a6db.jpg

Edited by alex182

Kero.  Just have to wax afterwards.  Wax is a bloody good idea anyway, as it stops the soot getting to the paint in the first place.

• Like 1

Cheers @GTSBoy

Never used Kerosene on the car, so might be a silly question: would you mix Kero in with the wash bucket, or just straight onto a rag? 

Yeah, it's probably due for another wax, didn't even think that might be cause for the recent build up, thanks!

Kero in hot water is a good place to start.  Increase the concentration until it starts working.  I've used neat kero to remove stubborn tar etc from paint.  Strips wax like a mofo though.

• Like 1

Awesome, I'll give it a go on the weekend.

Thanks for your help mate, much appreciated :)

Have you tried Bug And Tar Remover? Most car wash brands have one in their range. Thats what I used to use on a rich-running white GTR.