SAU Community

R32 GTR rear subframe bushes

ploxma

Has anyone here used the nolathane rear subframe bushes that install into the factory casings, like: http://www.nolathane.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=49155

If so how did you install the spacers and what did you think?

I installed these as per the first install guide on that page (Both the large and small spacers above the subframe) but it still squirms around under power (feels like wheels are moving around and changing direction under the chassis) and axle tramps. It's got hicus locked and replaced inner rods, the rest of the bushes have been checked and found nothing too concerning. I'm at a loss to what could be causing it.

Firstly, no-one still uses Nolathane anything.  I'm not saying that they are outright inferior with respect to how much additional stiffness they will add around your subframe when freshly installed....but everyone else moved on to SuperPro and other options about 20 years ago.

Secondly, if you have old f**ked out bushes and other bushes etc (the outer ends of the HICAS tie rods are a known death spot) in the rear end, trying to bandaid the subframe location won't do a lot.  Solid (alloy) collars are more effective, if pretty harsh.

You haven't mentioned wheel alignment settings, ride height, or even which chassis we're talking about.  If it's an R32, a lot of flailing around can be expected.  if an R34, we'd expect less (due to the improvements in the rear geometry between the two).

I not the biggest fan of any nolathane/poly type bushes but it was easy to install without removing the whole subframe and Nolathane was the fastest available option in NZ. It previously had some blue bushes that had disintegrated which I assumed were superpro (so didn't want to get them again).

It could quite possibly be a combination of a lot of old bushes, but I didn't want to just chase bushes randomly (will do the lot if I can't track down the issue though). The bushes have been checked over multiple times looking for anything with excess play, unfortunately it's near impossible to recreate the acceleration force on the hoist. It seems most people who are getting axle tramp issues are told to check/replace the subframe bushes.

I've just brought alloy subframe locker collars and tried fitting but appears they don't work correctly with the nolathane bushes. Outer hicus do have minor play so i'll replace those while the ass end is in bits.

R32 GTR, coilovers (fairly low), whiteline front and rear sway bars/links, alignment set by a shop who was recommended for performance cars.

Also, the way it drives currently is definitely not normal. You can literally feel the rear wheels shifting/turning about and feels like the car crabs down the road. this could be the hicus outers which will be replaced. 

Wondering if anyone has used any subframe spacers and installed as per that first guideline (spacers above he subframe), whiteline appear to install there version of spacers below the subframe: https://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/install_guides/Z203.pdf

The Whiteline and Nolathane bushes are 2 totally different animals. The Nolathane units replace the factory bushes that locate the subframe to the chassis. The Whiteline are the "pineapples" you'll see referred to in many posts.

27 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

But once your subframe bushes are that cooked, the pineapples don't do much anymore. 

Ask me how I know lol

Rear subframe will come out when I stop f**king around at the front of the car lol. Until then - pineapple bitches.

I'm pretty sure that that Nolathane kit has the equivalent of pineapples already (plus the main bush replacements).  I strongly suggest that if this bush kit has been installed and the back of the car feels like it is flailing around, then something else is wrong (or the kit/subframe has been installed incorrectly).

• Like 1