SAU Community

R34 GTT Blue Slip

Jhare413

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about purchasing my first Skyline, an R34 gtt, and am looking at one in QLD. Since I live in Sydney, I know I will have to get a blue slip in order to get it registered.

Since it is modified I am wondering how much difficulty I will have getting it on the road and how much it will cost. I have listed the mods below, any help would be great, cheers.

- Front Alcon Monoblock Motorsport Big brake kit (6 piston caliper, 365mm x 32mm 2 piece floating disc) $4500

- Rear Calipers stripped, rebuilt, seals replaced, cleaned, painted, new QFM A1RM pads and DBA 4000 rotors $800

- MCA Ultimate Series Coilovers with custom valving $3000

- Genuine Nissan Gear boot and surround $220

- Genuine Nissan Gear knob $77

- Alpine Head unit $150 - Refurbished r34 Gtr a/c unit $150

- Turbosmart Kompact Plumback BOV $189

- Splitfire Coilpacks $550

- Genuine Nissan reverse lights $100

- Genuine nismo side indicators $77

- Hardrace adjustable front camber arms, Hardrace adjustable traction rod, Hardrace adjustable rear camber arms, Hardrace adjustable traction arms $1055

- Proper bump steer wheel alignment with the traction rods $500

- Wheel alignment after the bump steer alignment ($100)

- Genuine Nissan Fuel cap $80

- Genuine Nissan Emission valve control $250

- Guards rolled and pumped

- Full Hicas lockout kit, including outer ball joint replaced $250

- Genuine NIssan front tie rod ends $170

- Stainless braided brake lines all around, $200

- Replaced Turbocharger gasket, dyno tune, set timing, $800

- Genuine Nissan OEM triple gauge cluster $250

Most of that is not a "list of modifications".  Most of that is fairly standard.

The adjustable suspension arms will likely fail a roadworthy.  To be precise, suspension arms with spherical/ball end joints on them are not road legal unless engineered.  Most adjustable arms have been equipped with spherical joints, and so the rule against sphericals is applied to adjustable arms in general, even though it's not strictly why adjustables were "banned".  So your mileage may vary, depending on how bright the inspector is.

Adjustable height coilovers are also not road legal, unless engineered, and usually welded at the minimum permissible height.

The HICAS removal is technically "modification of a steering system" and therefore also not legal without engineering.  Again, your mileage may vary.

8 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Adjustable height coilovers are also not road legal, unless engineered, and usually welded at the minimum permissible height.

So does this mean I would have to get stock suspension for the blue slip if I don’t want to ruin the suspension that’s on there? Does everybody have to do this for defect clearances and such?

7 hours ago, Jhare413 said:

So does this mean I would have to get stock suspension for the blue slip if I don’t want to ruin the suspension that’s on there? Does everybody have to do this for defect clearances and such?

Can't tell you.  For one thing, I have no idea what state you are in.  And even if I did, I don't know the rules in QLD, for example.  All the states do things differently, even though they are supposedly all working to the same rules.  What I told you about the various suspension mods earlier is all true.  But how you get treated for those items will vary.  I know for one thing that here in SA, they did not even blink when I fronted for a complete roadworthy inspection (at Vehicle Standards, not some blue slip mechanic) with my HICAS completely pulled out and replaced with a non-HICAS rear subframe.  It looked completely standard, therefore it was.  If I had turned up with a lock bar or possibly even a delete kit, they would have seen it and maybe questions would have been asked.  I can also tell you that I was told, in no uncertain terms by the inspector, that had I fronted with coilovers, they would have been perfectly happy to pass the car, so long as the adjuster collars were welded to the body so that you could not lower the car past minimum.  No engineering required, but definitely have to "fix" the coilovers.

I did not try my luck with any adjustable suspension arms with spherical joints.  I put standard ones on for the inspection.  At that stage it was only the caster rods anyway.

So, yes, many people do "have to do this" to clear defects.  If it isn't within the rules, you will usually be hard pressed to get it passed at a proper inspection.