SAU Community

R33 Skyline diff options

Blakeo

I have done a fair bit of research on this topic, I just want to ask a few questions because it wasn't clear in the threads I read. 

Basic options for a R33 is to: 

• Weld/Shim the VLSD (both making the diff 100% locked, the shims don't act the same way as they do in clutch type LSD as they space the spider gears closer together locking them up).
  • Swap R34/S15 helical diff centre into my R33 GTST housing, question being do the half shafts have the same spline as the 5x1? As I know the s15 have 3x2 half shafts. 
  • Spend big dollars on a aftermarket locker, about $1800 at least. Is there any cheaper option, I've heard the ATS LSD diff is cheaper about $800 clutch type but can only find it for front diff on r33 gtr.
  • Swap 350z lsd diff in - Would the 5x1 v35 diff go straight in with the conversion spacers from gktech or do you need to change out the axles?

Is there any other options I am missing? I don't really want to spend $1800 on a aftermarket looker, I have a s15 helical lined up for $300 that looks to be in good condition. Not sure if r33 half shafts with fit s15 helical centre though. Is there much involved with fitting a 350z diff in with the axle shafts?

I have fitted a S15 hlsd diff centre into my R34 vlsd, everything fits internally but as mentioned the S15 has 3x2 output shafts and the R34 viscous lsd 5x1 shafts do not fit. I had to buy new output shafts for a R34 helical diff which was fitted on later models for the 5x1 output shafts. I used the S15 crown and pinion gears as well for the 3.69 ratio so I had to re-shim to get the pre-load and backlash set correctly. In the end it all worked out but was costly and time consuming.

4 hours ago, NZ-GTT said:

I have fitted a S15 hlsd diff centre into my R34 vlsd, everything fits internally but as mentioned the S15 has 3x2 output shafts and the R34 viscous lsd 5x1 shafts do not fit. I had to buy new output shafts for a R34 helical diff which was fitted on later models for the 5x1 output shafts. I used the S15 crown and pinion gears as well for the 3.69 ratio so I had to re-shim to get the pre-load and backlash set correctly. In the end it all worked out but was costly and time consuming.

I would have thought the slightly taller final drive a bonus...does it suit your needs?

Why are you looking at changing the diff?

Nismo do a sweet 2way diff, 4.08 ratio and no stress, just take yours out and put the new one in and your done. Never have to worry about your diff again. 

PS it even comes in ABS model

Edited by WR33KD
Can’t spell to save my life

On 1/8/2019 at 7:27 PM, steve200b said:

I have the 350z diff in my car the inner cv’s from the 350z will fit your r33 driveshafts. That way you get the 6x1 stub axels and the std vlsd has not pegged up at all.

That's cool.  I didn't know the CVs would transfer to the older shafts.  Opens up a whole world of possibilities.

14 minutes ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

The 350Z has 6x1 stub axles yeah? You would still need GTR 6x1 driveshafts though wouldn't you? Or am i confusing something here?

Yuh, you are confusing it/yourself.  I initially read Steve's post the same way you have.  Stop and read it again.  Imagine pulling the inner CV joint off your R3x axle and throwing it over your shoulder.  Do the same to a 350Z driveshaft but toss the shaft and keep the CV joint, and then jam the 350Z CV onto the end of the R3x axle shaft.  Et voila, you have gotten rid of a CV that has 5x1 bolts and replaced it with a CV that has 6x1 bolts, on the same axle shaft that you always had in the car.  Now this axle will connect to a diff that has 6x1 flanges.

• Like 1