SAU Community

Worth upgrading vlsd to kaaz 1.5 way?

Is it worth the $1400 aud to upgrade my vlsd to 1.5 way kaaz? 

I mostly street drive the car, but last time I went to the drags it would one wheel peel for a bit before both wheels hooked. I do plan to go to the track at some stage as well. 

Do they make the car handle much better? Is it noticeable street driving? 

Not really ...but you don't say what car you have and how much power it is making. Its up to you to decide  if its a good use of $1400 - it will definitely help on the strip and the track.

2 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

Not really ...but you don't say what car you have and how much power it is making. Its up to you to decide  if its a good use of $1400 - it will definitely help on the strip and the track.

R33 Gts25t it makes 420rwhp

I’m running a nismo 2way with 600whp and I love it, sucks taking off and making slow corners but when it comes to the track the power is put down straight away and who doesn’t like oversteer.

Mine didn’t cost $1400 more like $900 and it’s an ABS model as well.

Once you push the power VLSD don’t like it and start to kill them self’s and it sounds like yours is starting to do it now 

On 1/17/2019 at 8:21 PM, Blakeo said:

I mostly street drive the car

Hello Blakeo,

This is probably the most important part of the question.

I can't speak for Kaaz equipment but living with a 1.5 way diff is definitely noticeable. Alot of people say that it is impractical for street, personally I don't really mind but it does get embarrassing when you're carting around the inlaws etc. What annoys me about street driving a locking LSD is the wear when you try to compromise for driving compliance. Wear on tyres, wear on clutch, wear on diff.

Power delivery, especially through turns become so much more affirmative than a worn out VLSD.

Also you may need to factor in cost of installation and maintenance. Mechanical LSDs need alot more attention than the VLSD - periodic oil changes and eventual rebuilds. First 500km wear in period is quite harsh though.

Hope this gives some insight and helps you make a well thought out decision.

• Like 2

I just put an os giken super lock 1.5 way in my car and it behaves beautiful on the street, no chatter or clunking on slow tight turns. I used the os giken 80w250 oil in it too and had it setup properly at a diff place as I changed crownwheel and pinion gears for a different ratio. I got it from Street to Track on here 

• Like 1