• Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


Blakeo

R33 rod knocked and low comp

Recommended Posts

Unfortunately the motor in my 33 is worn out after a good 4 years of ownership with most of it at 400rwhp.

I've been quoted $5.5k to rebuild to factory spec with upgraded oil pump gears. 

Would I be better to swap a Barra engine in? I can pickup a fg xr6t motor, 6 speed gearbox and ecu for $5k with 40,xxxkm on it. 

Neos are upwards of $4.5k. 

What should I do? I can see the Barra conversion being expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a complete Neo for sale on this forum right now for ~$2.5k.

Barras are f**king enormous and heavy.  Great if you want a drag car.  Shithouse if you want a normal car that still handles.

Any rebuild should not be to factory spec.  Should be decent rods and pistons at the very least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

There is a complete Neo for sale on this forum right now for ~$2.5k.

Barras are f**king enormous and heavy.  Great if you want a drag car.  Shithouse if you want a normal car that still handles.

Any rebuild should not be to factory spec.  Should be decent rods and pistons at the very least.

I have not seen a rebuilt Rb last like the factory one though. Even my tuner said once you take apart the bottom end you let the unicorn out. Rbs just can't handle abuse and barras around here are cheap and easily available. 

The neo I'd have to get shipped but that is a good price. 

Also barras weigh 250kg with everything on, Rb25 is 210kg with everything on. 40kg surely can't make that much difference? 

I'm sort of talking myself into the Barra conversion, only thing putting me off is car wouldn't be street legal.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not going to try talk you out of it. Please do and start a build thread about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blakeo said:

Even my tuner said once you take apart the bottom end you let the unicorn out.

Tell your idiot tuner to take his Bum Beanie off and learn his job properly, why the hell would you even listen to such bullshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blakeo said:

I have not seen a rebuilt Rb last like the factory one though.

Then they just aren't doing it right, the world is full of useless badly trained brain dead grease monkeys.

Edited by Rusty Nuts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Case on point, a large national suspension company, recently quoted my daughter, $1800 to replace the steering rack and pump on her liberty as they were " completely shot" she brought it to me and I replaced the mounting rubbers $30. adjusted pump position $0 , steering problems solved.just another useless badly trained brain dead grease monkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rusty Nuts said:

Case on point, a large national suspension company, recently quoted my daughter, $1800 to replace the steering rack and pump on her liberty as they were " completely shot" she brought it to me and I replaced the mounting rubbers $30. adjusted pump position $0 , steering problems solved.just another useless badly trained brain dead grease monkey

ah.....the "P" word.  Useless imbiciles.  I stopped considering them as an option in the 1980s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

ah.....the "P" word.

Got it in one mate, fu.king dishonest oxygen thieves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rusty Nuts said:

Tell your idiot tuner to take his Bum Beanie off and learn his job properly, why the hell would you even listen to such bullshit.

Because the factory rbs seem to be able to last and take a fair bit of abuse. But then you can have a guy who has a forged Rb and the bearings last one event. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Blakeo said:

Because the factory rbs seem to be able to last and take a fair bit of abuse. But then you can have a guy who has a forged Rb and the bearings last one event. 

Because a gumby put it together. The factory isn't magical. It just knows what it is doing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grab a stock running RB30 like i did, then recon the head and see how long she lasts.  

When she blows get 3.4stroker kit 🤗

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now