SAU Community

Best coil packs for rb20det

Hello,

I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on what coil packs are the best to use on an rb20det. My r32 had little misfires since the day i bought it. One of my  yellow jacket coilpacks failed a while back and melted through the housing. After i had replaced the failed coilpack it was good for a short while untill it started having misfires again. (Still only happening on idle). I checked my wiring harness and noticed that the signal wire to the failed coilpack was damaged so i replaces the damaged cable. But the misfires still remained.

I currently have yellow jacket coils installed and have a new set of splitfire dis 001 coils and a new wiring loom to hook up to the oem ignitor but i really would like to delete the ignitor. I have 2 options/idea's

Option 1

I tought about selling my new splitfire dis 001 coils and order a new set for an r34 skyline (smart coils) in combination with a wiring specialties harness to hook it all up without ignitor.

Option 2 

I have seen some post of people using ngk audi r8 coils on their rb's and opposed to the r34 coils these are way cheaper (over 300 euro's cheaper). And ordering them is alot easier because i can just get them from my local autoparts store. Now the wiring harness is my issue i looked for a long time online and i couldnt find a harness for an rb20det to fit these r8 coils to so i would propably have to make one myself or get one made. 

My final question is what your opinions are on this and what would be my best option.

Sorry for my english i did my best

IMG_1517.jpg

You have already discovered that Yellow Jackets are no good.

Stock Nissan or Splitfires are recommended but I believe the R8 coils will also work fine. Sorry can't help with the wiring - try googling... I am sure there are some guides somewhere.

I am assuming you have some kind of aftermarket ecu or a Nistine chip

7 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

You have already discovered that Yellow Jackets are no good.

Stock Nissan or Splitfires are recommended but I believe the R8 coils will also work fine. Sorry can't help with the wiring - try googling... I am sure there are some guides somewhere.

I am assuming you have some kind of aftermarket ecu or a Nistine chip

Still have stock ecu and i would like to go g4 link in the future or ecu master

• 3 years later...

Hey guys, 

I'm looking installing a Haltech on my RB20DET series 1 and as part of that i'm installing 

RB25 Series 2 coils to remove the ignitor. Does anyone know if the standard mounting 

bracket for the coils will work? 

Thanks in advance. 

I'm using "nasty old coils" because I've already ordered my new loom with series 2 smart coil connector sub loom, and I'm running a pretty much stock RB20det which will be lucky to make 180kw. I think the coils will be ok for my application. 

Thanks for the feedback about the bracket. When my new coils arrive I'll have a loom and machine a new bracket up. 

So sell sub loom for coils and go to

On 20/03/2022 at 7:50 PM, c33laurel said:

I'm using "nasty old coils" because I've already ordered my new loom with series 2 smart coil connector sub loom, and I'm running a pretty much stock RB20det which will be lucky to make 180kw. I think coils will be ok for my application. 

Thanks for the feedback about the bracket. When my new coils arrive I'll have a loom and machine a new bracket up. 

If only 180kw why are you even worried about deleting the ignitor when ignitor coils can handle heaps, like 400kw+. Sell sub loom, go to R35 kit if wanting the ignitor delete solution.

Makes no sense to delete ignitor then run stock / splitfire S2 coils for the cost -  complete waste of time really.

On 20/03/2022 at 10:58 PM, c33laurel said:

I already have the answer for the question I asked. but thanks for your opinion. 

Just trying to reinforce how much of a quantum leap the 35 coils are are over what your proposing doing, compared to not changing the stock coil setup at all. If you don't already own the S2 coilpacks yet you could still change without a big cost difference👍

I totally agree with you, I have done a bit of research and by far they are a better option.

But yeah, I already have the coils ordered and the loom and ECU is also on its way with plugs for the S2 coils. The engine is a Series 1 RB20 so nothing has really been straightforward. It wasn't just for the purpose of an ignitor delete.