SAU Community

Newbie Scara - Perth WA

Scara

Greetings fellow petrol heads. Scara from Perth.

Looking to get educated on ECU's how they work, tuning prospects, idle maps, load maps and alike. 

I am old school and have only learnt the black art of carbies, mostly on sports bikes.

ECU's are new to me and therefore where else can you learn by; but from people that play in the realm all of the time. 

I must admit, I have a project underway and this knowledge I hope you will share with me, will help my understanding of what I need to do to get the job done.

There is much talk of whats best and whats not, I have no illusions of that, only that if its got spark, fuel and programming instructions with the right sensors, it has to start and run programmed with the correct information. I am looking at a fuel only ECU installation, so Ignitions, crank sensors, over and above are not an essential, so basic to the most of you, it may be mind numbing, but we all have to start somewhere. Nothing you ask of me will be considered an insult, nor shall I presume you to be a smart ass. I am in search of genuine discussion, real talk.

That being said, you''ll always get an honest frank and open response every time.

Looking forward to chatting and a million questions.

Cheers and regards

Scara ;)

Welcome Scara, 

High performance academy run some fantastic youtube videos for free and you can sign up on there website for more detailed information on tuning engines with different ecu's. from memory it might be $30 for a detailed video on how to set up ecu's, so it isn't too bad considering.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd_eoF8pBW0

I find the link / vipec software easy to navigate on laptop, and with the help key it assists you in really understanding what you are altering. There are alot of forums out there with people asking advise and how to set things up correctly

happy hunting 

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2019 at 4:50 PM, Scara said:

Greetings fellow petrol heads. Scara from Perth.

Looking to get educated on ECU's how they work, tuning prospects, idle maps, load maps and alike. 

I am old school and have only learnt the black art of carbies, mostly on sports bikes.

ECU's are new to me and therefore where else can you learn by; but from people that play in the realm all of the time. 

I must admit, I have a project underway and this knowledge I hope you will share with me, will help my understanding of what I need to do to get the job done.

There is much talk of whats best and whats not, I have no illusions of that, only that if its got spark, fuel and programming instructions with the right sensors, it has to start and run programmed with the correct information. I am looking at a fuel only ECU installation, so Ignitions, crank sensors, over and above are not an essential, so basic to the most of you, it may be mind numbing, but we all have to start somewhere. Nothing you ask of me will be considered an insult, nor shall I presume you to be a smart ass. I am in search of genuine discussion, real talk.

That being said, you''ll always get an honest frank and open response every time.

Looking forward to chatting and a million questions.

Cheers and regards

Scara ;)

Not assuming anything about your level of knowledge so just for the record no RB ECUs are tunable. You will need as a minimum a device to interrrupt the signal to or from the ECU or a replacement chip (Nistune) or an aftermarket ECU