SAU Community

Help needed with catch can setup

Scotty_ecr-33

IMG_1947.jpg

This is the current setup for my catch can which I did not do, have been freshening up everything I am now up to redoing the catch can setup and this doesn’t seem right (pipe from turbo intake???)

Don’t have any of the standard pipes on the hot side any more just what you see

Pic is of my actual engine bay

I no it’s been talked about before

But can’t seem to find any real help to my application if it’s right or not

Just want to no how to setup properly with what I have

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers

No just straight through into can
Why would it have pipe from turbo inlet ? Suck it straight through into turbo I would have thought
The ally catch can I have has no steel wool or anything just a can with drain plug
Have a new can on the way with steel wool filter thing
Want to setup the pipes right

The way it is set up is broadly the same as the NIsmo can if that makes you feel any better.

You put a restrictor in it so the turbo doesnt hoover the guts out of your can and taking the oil with it.

Dont use steel wool, use a sintered brass item as per mishimoto.

https://www.mishimoto.com.au/automotive/oil-catch-cans.html

Edited by djr81

Routing as stated looks fine.

Catch can/oil separator system is more than some steel wool.

You really need some baffles in it, or a cyclonic effect to strip the oil out of the air, maybe fuel foam, but, whatever the design, make sure you can service/replace the "steel wool" or fuel foam, ALSO, steel wool can break down and end up on your intake, and fuel foam gets clogged with gunk.

Baffles/fuel foam in the cam covers help, ?Mines???

Yeah ok then, it is a street car
I can just put 2 bungs in so it’s not vta
So non vta should be legal ?
Even though it’s running a screamer pipe [emoji108]
(They haven’t found that yet) would rather it be legal, easy to see the catch can and never had an issue with current setup with them

18 hours ago, Scotty_ecr-33 said:

Ok great thnx guys good to hear setup was sort of ok to start with
Except no baffle
This is the kit I have on the way
This should do the job then yeah? Twin filter/baffle
Any other recommendations??
IMG_2327.jpg

Too small. Don't need breathers. As above read the oil control thread if you have a problem (maybe start half way through):

https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/110680-oil-control-in-rbs-for-circuit-drag-or-drift/?tab=comments#comment-2039323